Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
http://us.cnn.com/2003/US/06/05/nyt.safire/index.html

Darpa's LifeLog initiative is part of its "cognitive computing" research. The goal is to teach your computer to learn by your experience, so that what has been your digital assistant will morph into your lifelong partner in memory. Darpa is sprinkling around $7.3 million in research contracts (a drop in its $2.7 billion budget) to develop PAL, the Perceptive Assistant that Learns.

Could this be what Apples working on?

D :D

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2002
Now that would be the cutting edge stuff that we have come to know and love from Apple!

How many of you guys have seen the apple made movie about computing in the future? A cognative digital assistant is one of Steve's dreams...

Pretty exciting stuff!

pretentious

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2002
"Reality"
PAL sounds excellent, I've been wondering why we haven't been able to achieve an OS that learns to work to me rather than to me to it.

Anyway, Stelliform do you have a link to those movies? I would love to see them, I didn't even know if they even existed.

marcsiry

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
That cognitive assistant movie was made by Scully, not Jobs. It morphed into the Newton, Scully's baby that Jobs knifed when he returned.

Steve would probably smack you in the mouth for confusing him with Scully :)

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by vniow
Woah, nice find D!

I wonder if it is indeed a hoax though that the person who thought it up used this as a base to make things look more legit and fuel more speculation...

Well, a friend emailed me the link - so I'm just passing it along. Although even though he's a mac user, I don't think he knew about the Apple Pal...

But I thought exactly what you did - that if its a fake maybe they did use the DARPA idea - but don't you think they'd leak the link as well.....a conspiracies, love em.

D :D

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2002
Originally posted by pretentious

Anyway, Stelliform do you have a link to those movies? I would love to see them, I didn't even know if they even existed.

I will have to dig. Actually the Mac version is a rumor. (from a reliable source) In my AI class, when I was in college, we watched the M$ version which was a teacher. He was talking to his computer getting his lesson plans together. (Kinda like:

Professor - "Fred (Whatever the computers name was) Didn't I do a class on plate techtonics when I was at tech?"
Computer- "Yes professor X I have six lesson plans on that subject."
Professor - "Good, pull those, and isn't my friend... Kathy was it?"
Computer - "Dr. Katherine rosenburg professor of plate techtonics at Yale?"
Professor - "Yes Can you get her on the phone...."

Something to that effect. My Mac buddy told me that there was an apple version with a kid asking questions to the computer preparing this kick butt report.

Is that what you are referring to marcsiry?

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Not DARAP, the Genuis's of

THE EYE!
iaologo.gif

Duh duh...

ant

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2002
video

hi could u send me al ink to that video please my e-mail is: avia67@hotmail.com

or just please post a reply with the link address.

Thanks - All help appreciated.

Ant

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by bennetsaysargh
if what that says is true, that'll be awesome!

That would be an understatement. It might start out as something quite small, but as time progresses could evolve into the ultimate app.

What the long range effects will be remain to be seen. But growing dependancies on a 'cognative' personal assistant could become a liability as much as a boon. For organizing your life it would be great - but what about those times when you don't have access to it?

D

pEZ

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2003
Madison, Wisconsin
As long as the future name doesn't end in "9000" I'm up for a cognitive machine. However, I don't want it to be able to see me and read my lips through a pod bay door.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.