New Dell core duo noteboooks at 959$ ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by budugu, Jan 31, 2006.

1. budugu macrumors 6502

2. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

So that must be a barebones computer.
    My guess:
    no office
    no centrino
    no cd-dvd drive
    all extras.

really, i don't know. That is an expensive chip in an inexpensive computer. Question of the week, how do they do it?

3. budugu thread starter macrumors 6502

Office is not present in *ANY* computer. centrino is a just a wireless chip + processor and is present in even 500$ laptops. And * ALL* computers have Combo drives in the wintel world (yes even 450$ ones) + chipe is NOT expensive - it is EXACTLY SAME PRICE AS THE CURRENT CHIP!

4. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i agree with all, except compaq used to, and maybe still does offer the full microsoft office as an expensive add on but had microsoft works suite, with word, as the free bundled software on the barebones model...as on my compaq 1272 presario notebook which came with cd-rom, 32 megs of ram, and the smallest hard drive at just over 4 gigs...other, better 1270 series laptops had more ram, dvd player, larger screen, more hard drive space, and more bundled software

5. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

I think it will be interesting to see how Apple responds with the iBook then. Do they go dual core or super cheap?

6. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

maybe go both routes:

cheap...SINGLE pentium chip with 12" inch, or smaller, lcd screen, maybe $899?

midrange...DUAL CORE chip with 12" inch screen, $1099
    top...and with larger 14-15" inch screen, $1299

7. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I'm not surprised that Dell can put out a Core Duo, for just under $1000.

From what we keep hearing Apple will *only* have a 13-inch widescreen. I think you might see the $1000 Core Solo, and then the $1300 Core Duo. :) For a Mac, not a bad price. I just wish they did the core Duo model as a Mac Book Pro, with aluminium case. I really don't like the white plastic very much on a portable.

This is actually why I bought an iMac. It was looking like no more sub-15 inch professional notebooks, so I didn't want to give up my 12-inch Powerbook, but I wanted some more power, so I got the iMac to use with my cinema display at my desk. If they ever did come out with a 13-inch Mac Book Pro, I'd sell the Powerbook and iMac and snatch it up immediately. :)

8. budugu thread starter macrumors 6502

1300 is still doubtful, 13 Macbook pro it is going to be 1500$ flat (people are ready to pay for it! including you :D) solo ibooks might be arround 1000$. i faced the same problem and i bought a revB imac G5. And lug it arround at times (long vacation / driving) using ilugger. i will buy another mac only if it can boot windows Vista/XP or what ever. There have been a slew of developer centric software which is getting released every day on the generic x86 machines (Even DB2, Oracle, MSFT SQL server 2005, Visual studio Express, Sun developer studio...are free now!!!). need to buy a windows notebook soon!!

9. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Yes, I agree if they had a Mac Book Pro Core Duo it will be $1500. That would be a good price too.

However, I don't think they'll make a sub-15 pro anymore. I think there *could* be a high-end 13-inch iBook (Mac Book ) with Core Duo at $1300, with the Core Solo at $1000, but both models the white consumer offering, which is why I'm saying $1300 for the Duo, which I think is very doable.

I wish my iMac could boot Windows. I have a Dell notebook that I would *love* to unload and pocket $400. :) However, I need to have Windows as a backup.

10. budugu thread starter macrumors 6502

OFF TOPIC ... Back up is what i am talking about! ;) i probably will endup buying a HP compaq Nx6110 (600$) or a thinkpad Z60m (700$). At the end of the day i feel it much better to buy a cheap laptop and then just get a new one 1 -1.5 years! If this core mania is going to continue as they say every year we might endup with 2x cores! My 12" powerbook (1.33) probably will be the last computer that i would have spent over a Grand!

11. cube macrumors G4

You save only $32 (on $241) by putting a Core Solo 1.66 instead of a Duo 1.66
    Apple will suck if they actually use Solos (well, it already does by moving to x86).

12. cablecartman macrumors newbie

cablecartman

OMG. If you're not impressed with what they've done to increase the speed in their new laptops, thanks to Intel technology, then there's just no pleasing you. Sure the SteveMarks are somewhat inflated, but anything 2-3X faster is clearly worthwhile. Let alone what it'll be like when everything significant becomes universal.

Way to go Apple.

13. crazydrumma macrumors regular

Yes. Way to go Apple

I agree. Way to go Apple. It makes me sick when people complain about apple making the switch to Intel. Argh. The computers are still 100% apple, and they are faster, smaller, and better. Why complain? The PowerPC processors were made by Motorola. Now intel makes the processors, and they are better. We really have no reason to complain, we should rejoice! So what if the name "Macbook Pro" Isn't as pleasing to say as Powerbook? It runs way faster and looks the same. And it's thinner, it has a built in isight camera. Sweet. I am buying one. And, in actuality, you replace PCs within 1-3 years. Apples don't need to be replaced for at least 3 years. They are made very well. Whoo hoo! intel inside an apple. Yay.

14. PMacG5Dual2.7 macrumors newbie

Who Cares

I love all my MACS and wouldn't buy any Windows box for any reason, utter crap.

15. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i think that's a great choice

but if you are a techfiend who reads benchmarks instead of sports illustrated swimsuit editions, or obsessed gamer, or adobe jock, no computer will last you three years without feeling seriously behind the curve in the last 18-24 months of owning any machine

but if i had to have just one computer for three years, and have it be a laptop, the macbook pro, maxed out, would be the one

if i was a pc laptop person, a maxed out alienware laptop would suit me just fine for three years