New Dell Laptop - vs - MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by albertfreestyle, Apr 18, 2006.

1. albertfreestyle macrumors member

Mar 23, 2006
    ...whats all this new talk about a new dell laptop in the forums...Check out what this guy wrote!!! (in the delvelopers forum)

"...macbook pro is a slave compared to dells new monster 17" screen, intel core duo, 512mb 7900gtx graphics card, 4GB ddr2 ram and customizable LEDs
    of course, the exterior shell is quite ugly well yea.. the macbook got PWND

Dell XPS M1710 (2.16 GHz Core Duo, nVidia 7900 GTX 512MB)
    8,524 3D Marks

Apple MacBook Pro (2.0GHz Core Duo, ATI X1600 128MB
    2866 3D Marks..."

Whats all that about!!!???
  2. Peyton macrumors 68000

Feb 2, 2006
    Um. Kinda need to wait to see what Apple's 17 incher looks like before comparing the 2.

Just wait. You'll see.
  3. Peyton macrumors 68000

Feb 2, 2006
    Besides, the thing costs a lot more, and it has the 2.16 (when the mbp can be customized with it)

this is bad reporting. nonsense
  4. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

Jun 4, 2003
    A 17" laptop with 4 GB of RAM? Sorry, but to make a meaningful comparison this guy needs to be comparing Apples to apples (pun intended.)

As Peyton says, wait until Apple releases their 17" MBP, then we'll be able to run some fair benchmarks. :cool:
  5. homerjward macrumors 68030

May 11, 2004
    fig tree
    how the hell'd dell manage to get dimm's in that thing?
    looks less cheesy than before but still too many led's/too expensive
  6. dejo Moderator

Staff Member

Sep 2, 2004
    The Centennial State
    Where were you reading this? (Link please)
  7. generik macrumors 601

Aug 5, 2005
    Urgh, spare me the thought of those bling bling LEDs on a laptop. "w00t it makes me so 1337"... NOT
  8. faintember macrumors 65816

Jun 6, 2005
    the ruins of the Cherokee nation
    that is one of the fugliest laptops that i have ever seen.

though 4 gigs of ram does make me drool a bit....:D
  9. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

May 8, 2004
    I Live Where I Live
    that is one hell of a laptop but at $6,430.... ehhhhhh
  10. gman71882 macrumors 6502

Jan 12, 2005
    Houston, Tx
    At thoes specs that system is an unheard of $4370
    with 4 GB of RAM IT WOULD BE $6648 :eek: :eek: :eek:
    We are back to days of Knight Rider with the LED lights!!!! HAHA
  11. Gordy macrumors 6502a

May 22, 2005
    Bristol, UK
    Bearing in mind 3dmark is a test for gaming its hardly a surprise a top of the range 7900gtx beats a mid rang x1600

Its not exactly surprising.

As others have said testing laptops that are completly different prices is hardly a fair test now is it.
  12. joelypolly macrumors 6502

Sep 14, 2003
    Melbourne & Shanghai
    Its like comparing a brick to a knife... they can both kill but the brick would be very messy... heavy too....
  13. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Jul 29, 2005

Attached Files:

14. Kaiser Phoenix macrumors 6502

May 12, 2005
    Man that is one hell of a laptop.

One thing i really admire about Dell is that they are always on Cutting edge technology. I know apple is pretty good at it too but lets face it, Dell is always getting the latest technology fastest and their supply chain is very efficient and very good at cutting costs by having the same design for as long as possible....

having said that....

If I were Michael Dell, I would spend a tiny bit more money on the design. I mean, YES the laptop is bloody powerful but the looks do absolutely no justice whats so ever. It just looks like a freakin toy...If they spent a tinytiny more amount of cash on a better designer, (if they have one lol) they would be far more profitable I think....

In the meanwhile, Apple wil be winner in my opinion for beautiful computers and I rather choose Apple everytime, simply because its so not Computery and techie. Its simple.
  15. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

Jan 10, 2006
    LoL tremendous!
  16. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

Jan 10, 2006
    Am I right in thinking that from the specs that you can't watch a standard length DVD (2 hours) without the battery running out.

All that money and all it does is power LEDS. Made by Tonka too by the looks of it.
  17. eva01 macrumors 601

Feb 22, 2005
    Gah! Plymouth
    Thats what will make it not do well in a school environment. I <3 my powerbook for that reason
  18. milo macrumors 604

Sep 23, 2003
    Yow. I don't think pwned is the right term here. More like "mortgaged" or "sold a kidney for..."
  19. Experiment13 macrumors newbie

Oct 29, 2004
    Cheap Dells???

Every Dell laptop (and almost every desktop) I have priced out in the pages and pages of the customize section on their web site has priced out at least $150.00 more expensive than a Mac laptop when configured the same. Dell laptops are usually advertized with cheap screens, no firewire, little slow hard disks, etc.

You can buy a bare bones cheap Dell, but you cannot buy a barebones cheap Mac. Dell has very deceptive advertizing. They use a core duo tag in their ads for cheap machines, but when you get to the link, the core duo chip is an extra. I wish people including the press and the US government would get smart and really look at Dell true costs.
  20. yg17 macrumors G5

Aug 1, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
    That laptop also costs more than twice as much as the 17" Macbook Pro (assuming it costs the same as a 17" PB) which would explain why its got better specs.

Plus, that Dell probably gets 3 minutes of battery life with that kind of power.
  21. portent macrumors 6502a

Feb 17, 2004
    That's all you really need to say. Any notebook with a 512MB 7900 would outscore any MBP by a huge margin.

At least, when it comes to 3D games.
  22. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

Jan 6, 2006

Does anyone know if this lappy is bootable without being plugged in?
  23. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

May 8, 2004
    I Live Where I Live
    It needs its own wall outlet (2 plugs) according to Dell and MUST NOT be placed on exposed skin while operating or for up to 3 hours after use.
  24. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

Jan 6, 2006
    The batterylife on that Dell is about the same as the life on my desktop. Not to mention it weighs almost the same. Geez, almost 9 pounds.