Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
Last edited:
Reactions: Altis and 762999

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I bought my XPS 13 over the summer for my little bookkeeping side gig. It's frankly the best Windows laptop I ever owned. And I was dreading getting a Windows based laptop. Straight from the MS store, Signature Edition.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Damn!!!!!! 18hrs?????????
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015...3-and-xps-15-and-debuts-xps-12-tablet-hybrid/

I loved the design of the Dell XPS 13 that was released earlier in the year and now they've made it even more powerful? Seeya Apple....You have nothing to offer that Microsoft and Dell don't and that too with those two being innovative and using cutting edge tech.

I'd consider it, if it had a type cover. I don't want to carry a laptop, and the type cover on my SP3 means I don't have to carry a full laptop if I want to take my keyboard with me. Other than that these looks awesome and definitely something I'd consider.

Edit: dell active pen, bleh. I still have night mares on those pens, having Dell repeatedly send me new updated ones which never worked well. I think I still have a couple of them in my basement somewhere.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
The laptops look literally like the PC version of the first gen unibody MacBook Pros.

Rangomango

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2012
The laptops look literally like the PC version of the first gen unibody MacBook Pros.

Not sure I see the similarity?
The dells have a tapered design and tiny bezels.

I'm glad Dell is pushing out good looking products, will force the PC industry to step up their game.

I just hope the 1080p version comes in a glossy version, the matte coating dell used before messed with the colors.

robE89

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2011
From the service manual looks like that ram isn't soldered on the 15' version and you can change it :D

@Rangomango 1080p is matte and 4k is glossy as far as i know, anyway it's 100% rgb now, maybe they fixed it.

LE: 1080p is just 72% rgb

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2015
New England
We have 3 dell XPS's on hand

2007 XPS M1710 (Pre Alienware Laptop) [XP]
2008 XPS M1540 (New Business Model Laptop) [Win 7]
2013 XPS 17 [Win 8.1]

The 2 first ones work like a charm! They have never had any major problems!

on the other hand, the newest XPS, has had some serious flaws! First up, the screen was cracked when a plastic water bottle was placed on top of it! Next up, the HDD died after a year of light use!

However, the XPS has come a long way! I have heard great reviews about the newest version and, can't wait to try it out!

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
We have 3 dell XPS's on hand

2007 XPS M1710 (Pre Alienware Laptop) [XP]
2008 XPS M1540 (New Business Model Laptop) [Win 7]
2013 XPS 17 [Win 8.1]

The 2 first ones work like a charm! They have never had any major problems!

on the other hand, the newest XPS, has had some serious flaws! First up, the screen was cracked when a plastic water bottle was placed on top of it! Next up, the HDD died after a year of light use!

However, the XPS has come a long way! I have heard great reviews about the newest version and, can't wait to try it out!
The latest XPS 15 looks like a total stunner. Why does the MBP lineup even exist anymore?

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
man.....Dell is killing it with the new XPS releases!
And the concept of the Surface Pro is finally becoming more appealing with each release. I knew from the start that it was an amazing concept that NEEDED both time and advancements in tech to be fully feasible. Microsoft is now one step closer...

Cole Slaw

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2006
Canada
I really like that XPS 15.
Looks great and it appears you can upgrade the memory and storage yourself; wish you could still do that on the MacBook Pro. :(

Edit; Out of curiosity, would anyone know if an XPS (or any other PC with Thunderbolt) would be able to work with an Apple Thunderbolt display?

Last edited:

Fancuku

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2015
PA, USA
It's nice to see how Microsoft's hardware efforts have *finally* gotten other OEMs to make desirable devices.

There was a time when Apple notebooks were the only choice for good display and build quality, now the Windows camp has some great (in some respects even better) hardware too.

Reactions: TRDmanAE86
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.