New Desk Advice

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by CompUser, Jan 20, 2006.

1. CompUser Guest

I just moved into my new room in my house. We had a guest bedroom, we never have guests that sleep over, so my sister took the room. I argued with my parents that she is at college for most of the year, so they let me take over her room. My new room is pretty sweet, its big, Big bathroom, walk in closet, cross ventalation, nice view out the window (I don't really like the wall color though and the fact I get 0-1 bars of wifi :(:() Its practically a 2nd master bedroom. I think the demensions are something like, 15x11 and then another 5x10 bumpout and then another 5x3 bumpout. Its an odd shapped room.

I need a new desk. When we moved my cheapo desk got all messed up. The drawers don't always close right, its leaning a little, and it is just old.

I saw these two desks and liked them. Unfortunately, neither of them offer much storage.

Part "A" of this z-line desk from staples- $199
    [​IMG]

Ikea Jerker Desk- $99 (I would pick a different color surface)
    [​IMG]

Any ideas, thoughts, suggestions

2. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I've been looking for a new desk for a while, and did manage to find an Ikea one I liked. The only problem is that it costs over $200. So I recently decided I'd make one with my father. We've got all or most of the necessary equipment (table saw, router, various sanders, miter saw (complete with useless laser)), so all we need is the wood and hardware, and I'd be all set.

3. aquajet macrumors 68020

I just saw the Jerker desk on Ikea.com for $129. :confused:

Have you looked at it? Do you know if the top is crafted from genuine hardwood, plywood, or particleboard?

4. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

all it takes is a little research...

also, the Jerker "Computer desk" is $129 and has an upper self.

The normal Jerker is $99.

5. aquajet macrumors 68020

Guess I missed it :eek:

6. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

best post of the month ... :p

7. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

So I guess the upper shelf is where you keep the lube at eh? :D

8. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

You could get an Airport Express and create a bridge to boost your wireless signal.

Cool desks either way. I have no storage, either, but I make do with a couple bookcases behind me.

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I suffer from the need for drawers so I am always looking for the perfect desk. I have this one right now:
    [​IMG]
    And I do like it, but I originally wanted a darker wood or white...I went with this and with the exception of the color I am very happy.
    The middle is where I keep my mini piano (garage key). The two top drawers are sort of shallow, meant for pens and writing paper. I keep CDs and my gobs of pens in them. The next two on either sides are deeper, more crap is kept in there. The next two look like 4 drawers but they're filing drawers. I keep hanging file folders and magazines, bills, homework notes etc. I do really like the desk a lot, but I was considering going with this table top that you get at pottery barn (or getting an unfinished one at home depot or the likes and finishing it myself) and then using something like this from ikea:
    [​IMG]
    It is JOHAN and it's $60. I'd have to get two and then mount them to the desktop. The other idea is that since the Johan is 29" high already, that makes for a very high desk so I considered this:
    [​IMG]
    Which is a HEMNES bedside table. This one is good because I can use a table saw and cut about 3" off the bottom of the legs which means a 1" table top would set the desk at 29". The drawers here are deep but more narrow. Either way it would cost me the same as the Johan. Unfortunately Ikea's table tops are either too short or too long. If I went with the Hemens tables I could do a shorter table top because one of the shelves can house my powerbook. As you can see by going here GOING HERE, I need a good amount of space. Omit the printer, take the lacie from under the icurve and add a small lamp and HK soundsticks and I have this setup. So yeah, I feel your pain!

My advice is get the jerker with added drawers or do what I think I may still do which is get a table top (I thought ikea had one that like cheap like $9) and then the drawers.

10. iGary Guest

iGary

11. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

I bought a cherry wood colored table top from Ikea. Picked out the black legs. Very nice looking. I have a matching 3 drawer, on wheels storage, under the desk.

Attached Files:

12. supergod macrumors 6502

I'm thinking of going with this tabletop and these legs, because they're cheap and I like the look going with my iMac.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. steelphantom macrumors 6502a

steelphantom

I just got the MIKAEL corner workstation desk for Christmas, and I like it a lot! It has a ton of room for storage space.

[​IMG]