New Digidesign Protools System

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by number 6, Jan 15, 2002.

1. number 6 macrumors newbie

A new Digidesign Protools System will be released soon. It will have new hardware and DSP cards that will run 24bit and 96k and 192k sampling rates. They will offer it in 3 version HD1, HD2 and HD3, each number respectfully representing the DSP Cards. Also of note if you use sample rates of 44.1k or 48k in your session you can get more out of the DSP card.

NUMBER 6

By hook or by crook

2. 748s macrumors 6502a

748s

hopefully they will be doing something about OS X soon. anyone heard anything about protools for OS X? or have i been asleep and totally missed it? is it true that intel own a large bit of avid/protools? am i just looking for a conspiracy theory?

3. macomposer macrumors newbie

Digi needs to shake this hardware-based mentality and get a Firewire-based product out. You can't put a PCI card in a Powerbook!

As great as the promise of increased sample rates and bit depths appears to be to those of us who work with this stuff, we gotta remember the average schmoe thinks MP3s sound fine and will not appreciate 192K.

I'm buying a TiPB soon (hopefully, once Apple figures out what they are going to do!), and will go with the MOTU 828 as an interface for one reason: Firewire, and the ability to switch my audio world between my desktop and portable worlds at ease.

4. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Man... that is what I was saying

I'm using an Audio Media 3 waiting for Digidesign come out with a Fire Wire interface. The problem is that I use Digital Performer mostly and Protools some times, but I do it. Now I'm editing video and I have the option to create a small audio suite using the Pismo (PB G3 500 Fire Wire) with some audio interface. I have the oportunity to use the MOTU Fire Wire interface but I wont be able to use it with any other software.

On the other hand I undertand that the actual used of a Digi 001 with Digital Performer is limited, not all the audio in/out are avalible.

Any way, I'm expecting for Digidesign to come out with a very nice interface with Fire Wire connection. And I mean soon.

5. Digidesign macrumors 6502

Unfortunately, firewire isn't at a level yet where I'm comfortable shelling out $800 for. The MOTU 828 apparently has audio drop-outs and is unreliable for Cubase (MAC), which is what I use. But hey, if you own the card and have no problems with it, great! :)

I've been searching for a strong, DSP recording/processing system ~$1000, and here's a list of ones I'm currently keeping an eye on:

The new MOTU 896:
    http://motu.com/english/motuaudio/896/body.html

The Echo Layla24 & Mona24:
    http://echoaudio.com/

RME Hammerfall DSP card:
    http://www.rme-audio.com/english/index.htm

and of course, I am waiting to see the new ProTools system (comes out tomorrow, the 17th!!!!!) I love ProTools software, but unfortunately, it does not work with ReWire, and it's MIDI sequencing capabilities, though improved, still aren't as strong as Cubase. That's why I've gone with Cubase. But for audio mixing and editing, ProTools is great. I hope to move to a proTools system one day!

btw, I looked long and hard at the Digi001 system, and decided it was not for me. The free DVD promotional video from Digidesign was entertaining though!

6. Unregistered Guest

I wasn't aware of any dropouts with the MOTU 828? Who is reporting them. And, in general, does anyone know if there is more or less latency with a PCI sound card versus Firewire sound?

7. Digidesign macrumors 6502

Check out the Cubase forums, and run a search for the MOTU 828 and you'll see that there are a lot of people who aren't satisfied with their 828s:

http://linux1723.dn.net/cgi-bin/ubb/search.cgi?action=intro

Now, these are only certain people's experiences. But I do like to hear more from users who have it, than from "David Manning" reviews of the hardware that always give it the usual hype and priase. ;)

8. macomposer macrumors newbie

Hmmm... interesting comments on the 828. I work mostly with Max/MSP, and some with Pro Tools and Digital Performer. I have worked a bunch in a studio with a MOTU 2408 using Max/MSP with no problems... I will continue research regarding problems with Pro Tools and other such issues.

Thanks for your comments!

9. Unregistered Guest

Motu 828

I use the motu 828 with cubase and I am completely satisfied. I haved no sound drop outs and my latency in cubase reads 5.1 miliseconds, compared to the sound managers latency in cubase of 23.5 miliseconds. Anyways I enjoy mine greatly, well made and sounds great, I haved no problems on my mac at all, and would recomend this product to anyone.