Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macmanmatty

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
(x,y)
Hello all, I am looking into getting a new digital camera. And wondered what the best kind would be for me as i'm totally cluess and to the various kinds of digital cameras and what some of the more advanced options are and do. I Have roughly $400 to spend on this camera, and plan on using it to take close ups of flowers, leafs, fruits, and other close ups. So what kind of camera would be best P&S or SLR?? What kind of lense should I get If go SLR (which I would be willing to spend an additional $100 on)?? What features would be good to have for taking this type of picture?? Any help would be appreacted.

Macmanmatty

B

BigMäc

For that money you probably won`t get a DSLR + decent lens. I`d suggest an advanced P&S like the PowerShot S3 IS, their macro modes seem to be quite nice. If you go DSLR you could misuse a Canon 50 mm 1.8 + an extension tube for close-ups.

Kirbdog

macrumors regular
Hello all, I am looking into getting a new digital camera. And wondered what the best kind would be for me as i'm totally cluess and to the various kinds of digital cameras and what some of the more advanced options are and do. I Have roughly $400 to spend on this camera, and plan on using it to take close ups of flowers, leafs, fruits, and other close ups. So what kind of camera would be best P&S or SLR?? What kind of lense should I get If go SLR (which I would be willing to spend an additional $100 on)?? What features would be good to have for taking this type of picture?? Any help would be appreacted.

I would suggest starting with a P&S if you are planning on doing lots of macro photography. You can get a good quality P&S for that amount and they generally have good macro features. All the major camera brands offer lots of cameras with a dizzying amount of features.

Macro SLR lens are fairly expensive, that plus a body will be well over your budget.

Go down to your local camera store and try out several model and see what you like. Ask questions and learn about the features that you feel you may want or need. Make a note of the ones you liked and then you can research them and make an informed decision.

Digital Camera Review is a great site to read reviews and compare camera's

Sometimes choosing your new camera is the hardest part. I hope this helped and I look forward to seeing what camera you chose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.