new digital videocamera

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kgarchar, Oct 5, 2006.

1. kgarchar macrumors 6502

Sep 21, 2006
    so right now i'm a junior in highschool, and my jvc recently went to the *******. totally stopped working for me, so now, i need a new camera for my media arts class, anyone have any suggestions on some consumer end video cameras?
  2. echeck macrumors 68000

Apr 20, 2004
    Boise, Idaho
    What medium are you looking for? miniDV, miniDVD, HDD, etc...

I'm personally partial to Canon, and they've got some great consumer level miniDV cameras for reasonable prices.

If you're dictated by price rather than quality then you'd probably be better off going with JVC again.
  3. seany916 macrumors 6502

Jun 26, 2006
    Southern California
    Canon Elura 100 is about $375 or so & offers great portable performance for the price. Get a monopod for $25 or so & it'll stabilize your shots beautifully, tripod if you're taping a non-moving event.

Battery lasts over an hour and it's very small and portable. Definitely light up the room at night with everything available. Like most cheapie video cameras, this one isn't too hot in the dark.

For a few hundred more, Panasonic has some great cameras that would be pretty good for the money. PV-GS

I'd consider getting one of those if I needed a better camera but didn't need the quality of a camera like a GL2. Stay away from HD stuff. Expensive... and what are you going to do with it? Edit it, and then what? If you're not a professional and the bill is paid for out of your wallet, hold off on HD for now.

Personally, I'd rather have 3 cheapie Elura 100s running & get multiple angles for editing over 1 super clear camera stuck on 1 angle. They would all use the same spare batteries as well. Personal preference.

stick with mini DV- trust.