'New Direction' is new theme for Democratic plan

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Jun 14, 2006.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

USA Today

okay, so there it is. the democrats' plan. thoughts?

2. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

3. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

i think it's a good start. however, i'd like to see:
    1. a push for national healthcare
    2. more than $18 billion in tax cut rollbacks
    3. a plan for ending the iraq war
    4. more conservation measures, such as raising the CAFE standards
    5. some detail on "boost national security"
    6. campaign finance reform
    7. promises of investigations
    8. rollbacks of relaxed EPA policies

i could go on, but that's enough for now.

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Did this actually get rolled out today? I didn't see any news of it, and I'd heard a rumor that Bush had scheduled a 'briefing session' for the leaders of Congress that coincedentally occured at the same time as this rollout was scheduled for. Did the Democrats hold off for a day or so?

5. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

probably, yeah. oh, the maneuvers...

6. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    a little modified

1. a push for national healthcare that doesn't tax the public to oblivion
    2. more than $18 billion in tax cut rollbacks for anyone making less than 200,00.00 a year.
    3. a plan for ending the iraq war and focusing on rebuilding LA.
    4. more conservation measures, such as raising the CAFE standards
    5. some detail on "boost national security" and actually doing it.
    6. campaign finance reform
    7. promises of investigations and following through with them.
    8. rollbacks of relaxed EPA policies (by this I hope you mean stricter EPA policies)

I would also like to see that they conform to the laws of not spying on the public, unlike our fellow administration right now.

7. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Gotta go along with all of you. It is a good start, but the items that you mentioned need to be addressed too.

Nice to see the Democrats finally showing a sense of direction and purpose.

8. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

As a nonpartisan voter I'll go point by point:

Increase the minimum wage to $7.25 an hour from $5.15:

This would get fought tooth and nail by Walmart and most of their competition including many small business owners. Expect it to come out to 6.10/hr. raising to 6.95/hr. over six or twelve years depending on how strong the Dems feel at the time.

Grant authority to the secretary of Health and Human Services to negotiate lower prescription-drug prices with pharmaceutical companies for those in Medicare's drug program:

This would have some backlash from retail pharmacies who would be maneuvered into taking the proffits hit. I guarentee that big pharma would cover it's ass to the hilt. A better alternative is to set up a CDC web-pharmacy with seriously discounted prices for public health users or to cut out the patent extensions for pharmaceuticals.

Cut student-loan interest rates — rising to 6.8% in July — by half:

Humaine but meaningless if the eligibility requirements remain as exclusive as they are now.

Enacting recommendations of the 9/11 Commission:

• Boost national security and funding (in antiterrorist areas per report).

I too would like to see a manifest of how this would be applied. "National security" has been used for more nefarious activities and boondoggles than anything else in history save religion. I believe it was once translated Liebersraum.

Eliminating about $18 billion in tax breaks and subsidies for oil companies. Pelosi said savings would go to develop alternative fuels.

I'd believe that when I see it. See also: $18 billion dollars is pocket change.

Note also: alternative fuels have already been fully researched, they need only be deployed. How about including alternative fuels quotas in CAFE?

9. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Finally, a "Contract With America" for the working class!:) Now if we can only get behind Biden in '08.:D

10. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

well let's hope they can get into office and put some plans into action!

11. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

What good is a minimum wage increase if these same democrats are letting millions of mexicans come into the country and work for much less?

12. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

Sounds much better than what Republicans have done in congress for the last few years.

13. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

You mean like voting themself a raise while doing a horrible job for the people?

14. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

Oh, well.... Guess they have been busy haven't they?

15. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I'll be honest, you don't seem to stand by either party's side(fine if that what you think) but what do you think should be done(honestly i would like to know this is not a joke of a post)

Could you outline a plan ?(a lot like the Dems plan, but your solution to the problems)

16. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Ok, this is great and all. But are they actually going to get this out there. It just doesn't get the headlines the way immigration and gay rights do. Plus, how are we supposed to believe they'll actually do it. They made a lot of promises, I'd like to see them keep them if elected. It's a nice first step, but I won't be satisfied until I see it.

Probably still vote mostly Dem in Nov because the Reps have pissed me off that much, but I hope the Dems are relying on that, as I don't know if enough people feel the way I do.

17. Trowaman macrumors 6502a

Trowaman

crooksandliars.com has a video of Nancy Pelosi discussing the plan on CNN's Situation Room. I like it just needs to come out on a flyer in bullet point form.

THen to get the press' attention, maybe Reid can set off fireworks, Dean can scream, and Pelosi and will fight a bear with a giant copy of the plan behind them.

Larger press releases is needed. The media sure likes repeating the same things over and over even if it changes. "dems aren't united about Iraq" "dems have no plan" "People like Bush" blag blah blah. THings change, the void does not.

As for the illegals that Don't Hurt Me Mentioned, I am working for Nick Lampson who is the democrat running to replace Tom DeLay (yes the district really is winnable, expect Space and NASA to be a central issue localized to this district) but his illegal immigration stance has been very logical: fine employers who are caught employing illegals, hire more border patrol personnel, put better technology in place to monitor illegal crossings.

I think a wall is pointless if no one is watching it and would be an economic waste. As Ron Reagan said "A 10 foot wall creates an economy for 11 foot ladders." Put someone there to do something not a wall to do nothing.

18. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I like a lot of the plan but these same democrats got us into Iraq,passed the patriot act,ignored the mexican invasion, and still seem to want to. Sure I want the border enforced but both parties dont really seem into it. Its for the camera's now after 5 yrs of doing nothing. Anything is better then Bush and his sell out of America but the corporations own both these guys make no mistake. They work for the Corporations, not you or me.

19. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

With a Republican controlled congress, the Democratic representatives
    can barely get a proposal to the floor.

The New Direction should be a complete overhaul of the election system
    and campaign funding reforms that effectively block any faction's ability
    to buy their way into congress.

20. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

The illegal immigration issue really sticks in your craw doesn't it? Are you in the southwest? I'm only asking because I am and while it's a problem, the NSA wiretapping, Patriot Act, Iraq War, all seem much more important issues than thousands of immigrants coming in over the border. Not to say it's not an issue, but you've been really stuck on it for the last month or so.

21. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

How about something the littles can rally around, like:

Plan:
    "We will raise taxes by x% on anyone who makes more than one million dollars a year. No one else's taxes will be raised."

Tax rollbacks mean nothing. Taxing the rich to help the masses ... that means something.

22. tristan macrumors 6502a

The democratic plan needs to focus on education and health care. A saner foreign policy and some common sense immigration reform would also be good.

23. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

hulugu, that comment seems to indicate that you're a lurker who's only recently decided to begin posting in this particular forum.

I just wanted to say "Welcome." Hope you'll stick around. :)

24. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

True I agree with Thomas, welcome. I live in the Southeast and the mexican invasion is here. Taking jobs and not speaking english. Though the democrats seem to be waking up a little its pretty pathetic that our Senate seems disinterested in the border,keeping factories and those jobs here,or for standing up for anything that is good for "Our" country. Thats the U.S.A. for any Senators here. They get confused. We have a senate and president who just dont seem to understand who they are suppose to work for. Sure iam voting Democrat just as attempt to rid my nation of the Karl Roves,Skooter Libbys,Tom the draft dodger Delay, Cheney,Hastert,Frist and all the other cowards who fight the Iraq war from their desk's but didnt show up for vietnam but I dont have much faith in the democrats. The Democrats simply look a little less evil these days. Hard to get excited when both parties are destroying everything that made America what it was.