Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you think of a move by Apple to go with all built-in iSights?

• Good move. I've been wanting built-in iSights in the Apple Displays

Votes: 150 33.6%
  • Bad move... the external version had its uses

Votes: 146 32.7%
  • Whatever... I'll just get another brand's webcam

Votes: 11 2.5%
  • Already have an iSight (built-in or external)

Votes: 139 31.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

According to several anonymous and unconfirmed reports, Apple will be announcing new Displays at MacWorld San Francisco. The new Displays are said to include built-in iSight cameras, making up for the recent discontinuation of Apple's external iSight camera.

Reseller sources have reported conflicting stories, with some saying that Apple had told them that the reason for the discontinuation of the iSight was because Apple believed that since most of their products contained built-in iSights, a standalone product was no longer needed. Such an explanation would seem to precede a display update with built-in iSights. However, other sources have indicated that the discontinuation may have been related to troubles getting the devices lead-free to comply with Europe's RoHS initiative.

Little other information is confirmed at this time, however there are some unconfirmed reports that the displays could see a redesign as well. LoopRumors has also claimed that new displays may be coming at MacWorld, with a thinner and lighter design geared towards increased mobility.

[ Digg This ]

Fotek2001

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2005
London, England
How hard can it be to keep lead out of iSights? If they can do it for their computers, why not the peripherals? I still think pro displays don't really need iSight.

sivancotel

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2006
New York City
new displays with built-in iSights or not, it seems the standalone version should still be available for people with non-apple displays or who already own an older apple display. if apple really wants to move communication channels towards video-based applications (e.g., rumors for the future of iChat on mobile phones etc.), one would think they'd want iSight available to anyone who wants to jump on board.

qubex

macrumors 6502
This is unfortunate for Mac Mini users on a budget. The Mac mini + CinemaDisplay combo is hardly a bargain for budget hunters. That means that Mac mini users will be left without an economically viable iChat A/V solution.

That strikes me as rather unfair.

reno

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2004
New Jersey
questions ...

it's a good time to refresh the displays, i think this makes sense.

i wonder if they will include an Apple Remote with the displays, with the magnetic clip so it sticks to the side of the monitor? i think it would make sense to do this since Front Row will be included with Leopard, along with Photo Booth ...

also curious if the specs will change. i assume the line will be HD. also, will they introduce any more sizes other than the current 20", 23" and 30"? I also wouldn't mind less Firewire ports and more USB ports.

finally, is it possible they will include touch-screen technology with the new monitors, especially based on all the patents we've seen?

Moof1904

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2004
If the issue is lead content, what's special about the standalone version that it would require lead that the embedded iSight does not?

In my admittedly uninformed opinion, if one can make an embedded isight without lead one could make a standalone version as well.

I agree that pro monitors don't need isights. I'd prefer to not have an iSight staring at me all the time from my 30" ACD.

Plus, a detachable iSight lets me do other cool stuff, like move the camera around for a better view during a video chat and use the iSight with Delicious Library.

ChickenSwartz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2006
If the issue is lead content, what's special about the standalone version that it would require lead that the embedded iSight does not?

In my admittedly uninformed opinion, if one can make an embedded isight without lead one could make a standalone version as well.

I agree that pro monitors don't need isights. I'd prefer to not have an iSight staring at me all the time from my 30" ACD.

Plus, a detachable iSight lets me do other cool stuff, like move the camera around for a better view during a video chat and use the iSight with Delicious Library.

Maybe a way to add an iSight to a display and make it look built in?

This brings up an issue that was discussed a while back...there are many offices that do not allow cameras. At this point if you work in such a place you are out of luck if you want to use a Mac laptop, now are you going to be out of luck with Apple displays too?

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
There are many large offices that don't allow cameras of any kind to be on employee's desks, for security reasons.

I wonder how this will play out in those types of businesses?

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
ehh...not so impressive.

Hopefully we see something groundbreaking!

...or at least just an update to the iPod.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
The lead thing is kind of suspicious, but that was one of the reports that we heard, so I included it.

It's a bit of a tricky story, but I guess we'll see in a few weeks.

reno

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2004
New Jersey
iSights on eBay

check out prices for iSight cameras on eBay:
link

they are selling close to $200! i guess now that Apple isn't selling them they will be hard to come by and their value will go up.

good time to sell and make some $$$ ! (then use that cash to buy a monitor will built-in iSight)

ero87

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
This is unfortunate for Mac Mini users on a budget. The Mac mini + CinemaDisplay combo is hardly a bargain for budget hunters. That means that Mac mini users will be left without an economically viable iChat A/V solution.

That strikes me as rather unfair.

I agree, unless the new displays come at much lower prices (which is a possiblity, maybe? a nice $200, 15" display?) There's definitely a market for it.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I have a stand alone isight and love it. I can move it around independently of the monitor and that's important to me, especially showing things to people - bring the camera to the object, not the object to the camera. So even though it will be nice to get built in iSights, I still think there's no reason to discontinue them and I certainly think Apple would know this.

Maybe they're going to update the iSight as well - give it higher resolution and are removing it for now.

D

sivancotel

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2006
New York City
let's also all remember that the discontinuation of the current standalone iSight doesn't mean it won't be replaced with a different standalone model. if they really are worried about this lead issue, then maybe they're just taking the current one off the market to be replaced soon with a newew standalone version.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Well, when I was actually considering getting an iSight, I get boned. Oh well.

I've read that maybe they're making a USB model of the iSight since the built-in iSights are run through a USB connection. And that could also mean they're making them smaller...

But who knows? I might have to settle for a third-party camera now.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
predictable but annoying. We are buying six displays now because we need them purchased this year for tax reasons.

g-7

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2006
Poland
Connection

I wonder how those iSights are going to be connected to the computer?
Second USB cable from the display?

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Interesting for sure, I myself have never a need for a isight or any other two way video communications, In fact I think its better that no one has to look at me or me them when talking? Talk about a unwanted additional cost. I really wonder if this was optional on your new purchase how many people would say no thank you. I wonder how Apple will price these but I guess they will point to this item and say thats why its another 100- 200 bucks.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
I wonder how those iSights are going to be connected to the computer?
Second USB cable from the display?

Probably a combined power/data/USB breakout cable. More elegant, and I believe that's how Apple has been doing it until now. The current Cinema Display has USB and Firewire ports, so why not just send the iSight data along the existing USB cable?

markw10

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
I hope this isn't true. I have a MacBook Pro but am getting a Mac Pro next year and wanted a camera for that. I know Apple is into a lot of integration of components but as someone else said how about the Mac Mini's as well. If Apple builds it into their displays fine but most people go with non Apple brand monitors. As well, are there any 3rd party cameras that work well with Macs?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.