Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you think of a move by Apple to go with all built-in iSights?

• Good move. I've been wanting built-in iSights in the Apple Displays

Votes: 150 33.6%
  • Bad move... the external version had its uses

Votes: 146 32.7%
  • Whatever... I'll just get another brand's webcam

Votes: 11 2.5%
  • Already have an iSight (built-in or external)

Votes: 139 31.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

karlfranz

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2006
Melbourne
OK.. real question now.

Who cares about isights?

Does anyone really do video chats?

You're kidding right?

Open up your mind. Just because you don't have a use for something doesn't mean everyone else doesn't either.

Example: My brother and mom live in another country. I haven't seen either in over 3 years. My brother recently bought a new iMac and now we video chat constantly. The first time my 75-year old mom and I had a video chat she started crying from the joy of seeing her son on screen rather than just hearing his voice on the phone.

karlfranz

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2006
Melbourne
I know this may not be the forum for it, but a really quick question.

I don't have a .Mac account, nor do I want to get one. I would never get a AOL IM account. What is the best free app for using iChat out there?

Cinch

I can understand the aprehension to sign up for AIM but you can sign up without actually using anything A-O-HELL related afterwards. It's really simple to get a AIM username and totally free. Just go here.

Cinch

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2005
I can understand the aprehension to sign up for AIM but you can sign up without actually using anything A-O-HELL related afterwards. It's really simple to get a AIM username and totally free. Just go here.

Does AOL still try to install or change your computer like it does with a PC? If not thanks..I'll give it a try.

Cinch

lorductape

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2006
t3h usa
as cool as this is, I agree that an external was also useful... maybe comes in future the iSight will be removable and will be able to use bluetooth to broadcast to the mac, in a self contained device, that charges when in the comp and uses battery outside

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
meh, if the new ACDs' selling points are remote+FR and iSight+Photobooth, I'll just get a dell when I decide my MBP's 15" LCD is hindering my ability to edit photos. Well, that's apple's loss...

chubad

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2004
Frozen Wasteland
I guess Apple doesn't mind losing sales to government and industry installations that forbid cameras. The built in isights should have a delete option in Apples Build to Order program.

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
I guess Apple doesn't mind losing sales to government and industry installations that forbid cameras. The built in isights should have a delete option in Apples Build to Order program.

The trouble is Apple would then have to make 2 kinds of aluminum housings for the displays, those with iSight and those without.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
i think apple should have build in and the current ones so that the user can decide. Some may have no use for it or can't have video chat at work etc

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
That means that Mac mini users will be left without an economically viable iChat A/V solution.

Speaking of this, what is the state of third-party camera support in iChat? I know that all standard DV cameras should work, but that's significant overkill for video chat. What about third-party webcams? Somebody linked to this one, but is that it?

Interesting about the iSight being discontinued, but completely understandable. I was kind of thinking they'd do that a few weeks ago when I was looking to buy one for my parents, as I realized the Cinema display was the only one without a built-in camera. At that time, Amazon no longer had it in stock, but we had no trouble getting one at the local Apple Store. I guess it must have been one of the last ones? Good timing I guess.

Scottyk9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2004
Canada

I don't have a .Mac account, nor do I want to get one. I would never get a AOL IM account. What is the best free app for using iChat out there?

Cinch

I think you can do this by getting a trial .mac account, and set up an email address. Use this for you iChat log-in, which should still work once your trial expires.

NewSc2

macrumors 65816
Jun 4, 2005
New York, NY

Cinch

Well, I'd go with whatever your friends/relations are using. There are quite a few chats but they're not very cross-platform. Google Talk, YahooIM, MSN, ICQ, and AIM. Although I think Yahoo and MS made a deal to do cross-chats a while back. I solely use Google Talk and AIM.

And no, AOL doesn't try to install anything.

Oh and I guess Skype would be another one.

karlfranz

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2006
Melbourne
Does AOL still try to install or change your computer like it does with a PC? If not thanks..I'll give it a try.

Cinch

Getting an AIM user name does not involve installing anything on your computer. Just create a new account with the link I posted, but don't download or install the AIM client and you will be fine. All you need is a username and password. That's it.

Cheers.

technocoy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2002
Raleigh, NC
MacWorld

I'm thinking, in order of likelihood, the following:

1: MacPro 8 core (will become the top price model on the store)

2: MacPhone (I actually believe this might just be a new iPod with phone capability)

3: Display refresh with the iSight added and possibly new input options (not a completely new design)

I also think the iTV is going to be more that we were led to believe at the expo last time. They definitely have something up their sleeve with this. (I didn't list the iTV since it's already confirmed)

Snide

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005
Oh and I guess Skype would be another one.

Skype works great, and takes seconds to set up.
I use it with my Macs and on PCs.
Much less hassle than settting up an AIM or .Mac account.
It will catch on soon enough...

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
I would like to see a new seperate iSight, geared up to being attached under/over big flat screen TVs and for Mac Mini amd Mac Pro users. I would also like to see them add features like IR receiver port for remote control.

They could also make a lot of sales if this thing could connect up to an iPod and become a simple video recorder/camera. Whooe new meaning to Podcast.

They could also enter the world of home security and provide easy to use iLife expansion to allow cameras to be used to hlp protect homes - a huge market for the future.

Jebaloo

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
Surely if they were to refresh their displays, they would do more than just add isight?

1 - Built in isight (I would love this)
2 - Infra Red for using the remote control with (I would love this even more)
3 - make them less deep and with slimmer borders
4 - gloss/matt screen options
5 - and introduce a bottom end 17 inch one for those on a budget (for those who really don't like dell).
6 - If I'm really crazy I would ask for the flexibility in articulation of the screen that the old G4 iMacs had, I loved that screen and still think the current iMac's are incredibly ugly by comparison (personal opinion I know, but what's with the big chin?)

I'm waiting to buy a Mac Pro and a 23" Cinema Display and am currenly patiently waiting for them BOTH to be upgraded. Currently the MacPro at the low end is too similar to a 24" iMac to be seriously considered.

Bregalad

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Vancouver
I think it's gone forever

I think Apple wasn't selling enough iSights to make it worthwhile even with their high sticker price. I had an iSight a few years ago. I recorded a couple of brief video messages for distant friends who didn't have web cams and I took a short home movie of my infant daughter. I realized it was a waste of my money and sold it.

Certainly there's a market for video chat. My company even conducts job interviews that way for candidates who are far away, but there's no need for all of us to have web cams or we'd have them already. Putting them into all the laptops and displays doesn't change the fact that we rarely need that capability.

I don't think Apple should put cameras into their displays, but doing so won't prevent me from buying one; price already does that. (Apple C$799, Samsung $529, Dell $449). I recently moved up from 17" to the Samsung 215TW and I'm very happy with it.

I have to wonder about work places where cameras are banned. Clearly that keeps Apple equipment out, but what about cell phones? Almost every mobile available has a built in digital camera and it won't be long before they all do. Then what?

camomac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2005
Left Coast
i really hope this is not true.
i use my isight for more then just chat.
i like to make little movies with it. (stop motion stuff)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.