New Displays Coming Soon?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Zwhaler, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

We all know it's been a long time since Apple has done a major update to their Apple Cinema Displays, and because of their recent price drop, perhaps we will be seeing some new displays soon.

But will they have built in iSight? If they were to have it, Apple would lose lots of money that they could have made off iSight cameras for people who buy Cinema Displays, and with them built in, there will be hardly anyone who needs them. But I still think they will have the iSight built in. What do you think?

2. iGary Guest

iGary

It was a long time between their last updates from the acryllic units also. I doubt it, personally.

3. thedonga macrumors member

can't find a release date, but my money says this is the next ACD panel.
    anyone have any dates for panel release?

LG.Philips
    23" TFT LCD Panel for Monitor
    Model Name LM230WU3
    Active Area [mm] 495.36 x 309.6
    Outline Dimension [mm] 523.4 x 335.6
    Thickness [mm] 41.0
    Resolution 1,920 x RGB x 1,200
    Aspect Ratio 16:10
    Pixel Pitch [mm] 0.258(98.4)
    Number of Colors 16.7M(8bit)
    Luminance [cd/㎡] 400
    Color Saturation (%) 72
    Weight [g] 2870
    Contrast Ratio 700:1
    Interface LVDS/TMDS
    Viewing Angle [˚,U/D/L/R] 178/178(CR≥10)(S-IPS)
    Color Temperature [K] 6,500
    Response Time [ms] 12

4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Along with the price drop was a change in the display specs.

Apple won't want to get too wild with higher resolutions and such until they get the resolution independence problem solved. I would expect any major change to happen only after Leopard is released.

5. thedonga macrumors member

it is my understanding that display spec change was a "farce". The panel didn't change, just apple's conservative numbers. Dell released their new panels and apple just changed their numbers to less conservative ones.

always been the LG Philips LM230W02 panel.

correct me if I am wrong.

6. Trippy Jr macrumors member

I seriously doubt they'd add in the iSight to the cinema displays.

Why? First off, the ACDs are typically marketted more at professionals and office users than at anybody else - these are people who do not need, or likely want an iSight in their ACDs. The price points on the ACDs are also prohibitive of "casual" purchases, since consumers will search for a cheaper panel than Apple's.

Secondly, the iSight is a good way to make money - consider that even with their high price, they still sold/sell in good volume. It's a product which requires little R&D and offers a good return on investment. If they incorporate it into the future ACD designs, it will cut down on their profits and half the market of the "traditional" iSight.

7. ironic23 macrumors 6502

yeah i dont think apple will put isights into the acds. although it might be good if they added more inputs into the acds. would be great if it had a hdmi input or something for using 1 display for 2 systems.