New Displays?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Rob587, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Rob587 macrumors 6502a

Rob587

I think the new displays make the screens feel smaller than the previous screens b/c of the new thin outer shell. I used to feel that the old 20" moniter was just right, but now that the new designs are out, they seem kinda small. Since they seemed kinda small I started looking at the new 23" and it just seems to big(and suposedly ppl say that they are bigger once you get them home and on ur desk). So basically three questions: I have been saving money for a long time from my work and I will be buying an apple display(no changing my mind) at the latest, next may. Will the 23" look a little radiculous for a college student in my dorm room or is the new 20" just fine? Is there a spec difference btwn the old and new displays or is it just looks? Will ppl still be selling the old 20" display on things like ebay "new" until may if I wanted to get the old one? What should I do?

2. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

3. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

eh

the new displays were designed to match the look of the new g5's. as for being smaller, i actually think they look THICKER then the previous ones. the originals were not that bad.. the new ones feel less sturdy to me when i saw them at a apple store for some reason. :cool:

4. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

So do I buy the old version(if they are even on ebay) at around december? Or do I just go with the new 20"? Also, would the new 23" look nuts in a dorm room?

5. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

No. the new 23" will not look nuts, in fact the new 23" is much smaller, lighter, and less thick that the old 23". When I first saw the new 23" next to the old 23", I thought it was a 20" and not the 23". Personally, I would get the 23" if you have the money, its really not that big, at least compared to the old model display, which I owned as well. The new 23" is probably pretty comporable to the old 20"in size since the old models had a heap of plastic for the bezel.

6. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

ya thats exactly what I mean... Do you think it will go down in price alot by december or may? or should I just get the old 20" cuz its bigger than the new 20"?

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

With the new design, its actually hard to compare them. I think that the new one looks thicker due to the flat ends. They look very sturdy to me.

8. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

When i went to the apple store the other day they had a dual 2.5 machine and a 23" display setup.the new 23" definitly looks a bit more crisp than the old version, but like someone said before it looks a lot more fragile. The base of the monitor is pretty solid though.

I wonder how much the 30" display weighs.... my 15" lcd weighs quite a bit...cant imagen a 30" :eek:

Im suprised the local apple resale store got their 2.5 ghz machines in this quickly....they got their 1.6 ghz g5s last year like 2 weeks after every other store around here.

9. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

10. KevRC4130 macrumors 6502

What tower are you using? Get whichever matches (G4 get the old plastic kind, G5 get a new aluminum)

11. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

did no one read my post? the question is Old 20" or New 23"... Will the new 23" look to big?

12. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

Please read all posts yourself before asking if no one read your post. I'd like to consider myself a "somebody".

13. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

you know what I mean.... you were the only one to give me an answer to my question, unlike the other ppl that responded.

14. KevRC4130 macrumors 6502

Dude, if you're asking for help, don't bitch if someone doesn't answer right on. Beggers can't be choosers. Anyways, I think the new 23" is about the same physical size as the old 20", which makes the 23" more practical since it takes about the same space while being a bigger better screen. I'd say either will be equally big, so you should get the new 23". Plus the new models are sleeker and nicer than the old.

15. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

That's cool, I didn't want to sound mean, but I was like "what are you joking, I answered what you asked".

16. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

Sorry for acting like a jerk.. and thanks laslo, u did answer perfectly... same with u KevRC... Thanks alot! :)