New Displays

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by supergod, Aug 27, 2004.

1. supergod macrumors 6502

How would anyone here recommend an Apple 20" display over the HP L2035 20" display http://www.hp.ca/products/static/monitors/l2035/index.php ? The apple costs $1649 Canadian with an education discount and the HP costs $1349 Canadian. The Apple one is cooler looking and probably more solidly made with a better warranty but the HP one seems to have more imputs and is more adjustable, plus, $300 less. Anyone who owns either one have any advice?

2. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

You're asking this question on a mac forum... what kind of responses do you expect to get hehe :cool:... So before everyone screams at you to buy the Apple because of this or that, check out the specs on the two. Compare their brightness specs as well as their pixel response time. You want a low pixel response time to not have ghosting. Apple's new LCDs have a 16ms response time. Some LCDs have 12ms response times these days. But throwing specs aside, the best way to know is to go take a look.
    -Kevin

3. the future macrumors 6502a

Just check out the macrumors threads about the new Cinema Displays. All the pros and cons have been debated there, with the HP screens quite regularly rearing their (ugly :D) head...

4. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

id go for the HP just cause its cheaper. with 300 you could buy an airport express (i am in love with mine!!!) and you could still have money left over! but the apples do look cooler, so if money is of no matter then get the apple monitor. wait, better yet get the HP and send me the extra 300 that i could save towards a new display of some sort (im tired of my CRT taking up sooooooo much room) (plus the CRT looks ugly sitting next to my 12" PB)

5. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

Well, the main difference is the aspect ratio. The Apple displays is a widescreen aspect ratio, and the HP is a 4x3. The stats are same if not better than the apple, as far as brightness, response, etc. . .

I own a 23" alu at home, and just got a 20" alu at work and love it, but it looks like I am going to get a new monitor at work. We are ordering the HP L2335 23" lcd display.

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/monitors/tft/l2335_specs.html

This display has slightly better specs, and has composite, component and s-video imputs, and its $500 less! Of course it's not as sexy as an Apple display, but it is still pretty nice.

Here is a nice review:
    http://reviews.designtechnica.com/review1695_main8483.html

I will post my own impressions when I get my hands on it.

Bottom line, if you don't care to pay extra for the Apple look ans widescreen aspect, then get the Apple. If aspect and Apple look doesn't matter, then get the HP and buy some ram.

6. webmatthijs macrumors member

7. supergod thread starter macrumors 6502

The HP IS widescreen. In fact, it is exactly the same pretty much as the 23" you are talking about, just smaller. Money is definitely an issue for me but I would be willing to spend the extra if it was a worthwhile investment. I've seen the Apple displays in person and think they are very high quality (although the form factor isn't as great as I was expecting: the bits of white plastic, especially on the sides look so cheesy!) but I don't know any stores that carry the HP.

8. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

9. supergod thread starter macrumors 6502

Damn, I'm boned. I found it in a list of widescreen monitors and didn't notice the native res. Anyway, danke.

10. stuuke macrumors regular

I couldn't find the other discussions about the HP and Apple. Can someone give me a summary? The biggest concern for me is color accuracy and resolution.