new DP 1.25 PM, first impressions

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by PeteyNice, Feb 4, 2003.

1. PeteyNice macrumors newbie

My new PM arrived today. I have an iBook so this is not my first Mac. I liked the iBook enough to replace my Athlon 800 PC.

My first impression after taking it out of the box was how awful the kb was. If you don't include front USB ports at least include a reasonable length of USB cable. It barely stretches in front of the machine. The mouse? eek. It has a short cable which is ok since it can plug into the KB but I was not brave enough to try it (It felt like it clicked from the bottom and would be really annoying so I use a USB mouse I have).

I was also taken aback by how easy it was to install memory. Pull the tab and there is everything! I put in two 512 MB sticks brining the total ram up to 1.25 GB.

It is louder than my PC but not appreciably so.

It is super speedy. It blows my 600 Mhz G3 iBook away! I downloaded and installed the iPhoto update before the iBook even booted up.

The big test will come this weekend when I move all my stuff over from my PC.

Anyhow, I am impressed.

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Congratulations! Hope you enjoy it for a long time.

As far as the keyboard goes, they're all the same for the desktop machines regardless of price. I just got a recent HP machine and its keyboard is much worse than the Apple keyboard.

I still have my old ADB Microspeed keyboard on my PowerCenter and it's still better than anything else I've ever tried.

3. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

4. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Congrads.

If the USB cables are too short for your liking I got like a 5 'extended pack' I think they are like 1-2 feet, it sure it enough.

Personally I don't like the apple mouse, so I got one with a scroll wheel.

Happy Powermacing.

5. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

Re: new DP 1.25 PM, first impressions

That's why I love my 17" Studio Display. it has two 2 USB ports right on the back. I am sure other companies do this two, but it's a great feature for sure.

6. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

well my powermac came with a usb extender in the box, are you sure yours didnt either or has apple stopped that

iJon

7. PeteyNice thread starter macrumors newbie

You are correct. I was not sure what that cable was for but it is indeed a USB extender. That makes the KB cable length more tolerable.

8. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

well how about that, i guess that powermac isnt so bad afterall. lol

iJon

9. noelmac75 macrumors regular

Do the new keyboards that come with the new powermacs come in white?

10. cubist macrumors 68020

Are there ADC extender cables? Because the cable on the ADC monitors is pretty short too.

I think the keyboards and mice are all white these days. Makes my black keyboard and mouse Super Rare Collectibles someday.

11. JustAGuy macrumors member

Yup. ADC extenders can be had from the likes of Dr. Bott or Griffin. Look for the non-powered variety, which will allow up to about 5 metres before signal degradation. The powered variety can go much, much further (100 m or more) but are also ludicrously expensive (as in THOUSANDS of US dollars).

AFAIK, the current line of powermacs still comes with black kb and mouse. I'll have to check when my dual 1.25 shows up in a three-four weeks (grrr... Apple Canada, how hard is it to take an order and not have it disappear from the database in the next hour?)

12. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Re: new DP 1.25 PM, first impressions

the short cable on the kb is so it plugs into the usb ports off the apple monitors which i feel is just fine. you using a apple display or 3rd part monitor?You didnt try the mouse?what you mean?plug that darn thing into the keyboard and the mouse has a tension on the bottom you can adjust by swiveling the lighted ring.that 1.25 should be a nice machine.