Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hockey Nut

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2003
Battle Creek
I got this answer to a similiar question at DPREVIEW Forum.

"If you are buying a new Mac, you have the choice of buying a Mac with Superdrive to begin with. And YES, iDVD will recognize the Pioneer 105 drive, provided it is a direct replacement for the internal CD drive. Unfortunately iDVD will only recognize internal drives and not external drives."

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2001
I recently added a 105 to my dual 533 G4, and I couldn't have asked for an easier install process. Once it was in, I installed iDVD 3 and everything was hunky-dory. iTunes 3 recogized it, Disk Burner recognized it, and it worked like a champ right out of the box.

I have heard of an issue of kernal panics when a drive is installed, but turning off the "put hard drive to sleep whenever possible" in the energy saver control panel fixes it. Not sure why though...

Go for it. I got mine for 280 shipped, and I've seen it for as low as 199

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
Re: new dual 1.25 and pioneer A05

Originally posted by giovanni
Has anyone added one of the above DVD burners successfully ? any issues ?
thx,
giovanni

To successfully use the A05 with the new MDD Towers, the drive needs to be in the top optical drive slot, and set to c/s (cable select) on the back.

I assume if you're adding one yourself, that the combo was the drive in your top slot? Move this to the bottom slot.

The reason for this is that for iDVD to see the drive, it needs to be the 'Master' in the IDE chain, and now that the new towers use c/s, the first drive is automatically the master, and the last one, the 'slave'.

If you have put the A05 in the bottom, it will still work with Toast, and probably DVD Studio Pro, but it must be in the top for iDVD to see it.

Good luck
Hamish

bobbioca

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2003
I easily added an A05 to my dual 867 - no probs. Works like a charm. Set the A05 to Master in the top slot, the combo to slave in the bottom.:cool:

hugemullens

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2002
Michigan
you can also use the Cendyne branded 4x DVD burner. Its a rebadged pioneer. I seen it at staples for 299 with a 100 dollar mail in rebate. http://www.mcetech.com sells drives they advertise as iDVD compatible. I bought one from them and it was super easy. Quite literally plug and plag.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.