New Dual 1.25Ghz Noise problems!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by noelmac75, Feb 14, 2003.

1. noelmac75 macrumors regular

Has anyone experienced noise with there new G4's, I got mine recently and its giving out a constant whining noise, it comes from the front of the comp, has anyone any solutions for this

2. mdeschenes macrumors member

Oh please, please, please don't tell me that! I am awaiting delivery of mine own DP 1.25. I will let you know as soon as I receive and set it up.
    Mike

3. gotohamish macrumors 65816

gotohamish

I'll second that - I'm waiting on a Dual 1.42, and if the 1.25s are noisy, I'm gonna have to build an extension for mine!!!

4. noelmac75 thread starter macrumors regular

Iam gonna put an extension on mine too, and put it my wardrobe, it drowns the sound out a good bit. Yes they are loud on my first experience , alot louder than my g4 450mhz.

5. Bear macrumors G3

Re: New Dual 1.25Ghz Noise problems!

Do you have the first model of the DP1.25 or the second one?

The first model has 2MB of L3 cache. The second has 1MB. (Per processor of ocurse.)

The current MDD models are supposed to be quieter then the original release was. So knowing which one yours is would help.

I'm awaiting a DP1.42 and want to know what level of noise to expect.

6. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

About noise

My dual G4 500 is noisier than the AC unit I have in my studio, it is closer to the vacum cleaner, on the other hand....

I had a guy that came here with his dual 500 and that computer didn't do any noise at all, it was very silent, the fan was on but you needed 3 to 4 of his computers to make the same noise as mine.

So, Apple may be changing components there, getting the best deal in the market with the fan.

May be a next revision.

7. gotohamish macrumors 65816

gotohamish

Does Apple use good fans? My G4 500 is silent apart from the new Radeon 8500's fan.

2 Questions:

1) Can you replace PM fans to better/quieter ones?

2) Can I unplug the fan on the Radeon? It doesn't get hot in the machine at all, but I don't know about the GPU.

Cheers

8. groovebuster macrumors 65816

groovebuster

Yes, of course you can... But you shouldn't do that if you are not familiar with using the screw-driver in a computer.

Also very often the results are not as significant as expected, since the noise is not only a problem caused by the fans, but also by the air-flow in the case, since the fans are temperature controlled. And maybe the Apple boxes look nice and are service friendly, but from an engineering point of view considering the air-flow they are close to a total black-out. So a lot of noise ("fan-work") for nothing. Most of the hot air just circles in the case and dosn't get out causing the fans to go fast and to produce more noise than necessary.

So what new fans do in a lot of cases is not to lower the noise level, but to have a different spectrum of frequency they are emitting the noise within. The lower the frequencies are the less it is annoying, since the human ear hears better in the mid- and high frequency range. So from a subjective point of view the new fans helped even though they still produce they same dBs of noise...

groovebuster

9. sedarby macrumors regular

Info for noise problem

For more information about the noise problem in PMs both 1st and 2nd revision, check out http://www.g4noise.com

10. gotohamish macrumors 65816

gotohamish

Re: Info for noise problem

Yes, I knew it would happen. Can we please have a new G4 thread without this link!!!!

Surely the example on the site is different depending on your computer's sound-out volume.;)

11. MorganX macrumors 6502a

MorganX

Re: Info for noise problem

This site has really turned me off. I'm not sure I'm willing to risk an iMac now. This is not good stuff. Not at all.

Not concerned about the noise. But Applecare owners being told to sell their machines on eBay, Apple deleting posts.

If Apple does get a lot of switchers, this will have to stop. I don't know that Apple wants more marketshare if this is as evolved as their customer service and problem resolutions is...

12. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: Re: Info for noise problem

The problem is that the only time you hear about peoples machines is when they have problems. Think about the thousands and thousands of mac users out there that aren't posting or reporting anything. Those are happy people with no reason to complain.

I am one of them. I have an original MDD powermac and mine has never had the whine or hard drive noise or any of the other complaints that people have about them. I feel that I am in the majority. It's just that the other people with good experiences with there MDD have no reason to post because they don't have a reason to.

Trust me if you have a legitimate problem and you handle yourself polite-fully and tactfully you will get whatever that needs to be repaired repaired.

13. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Did you buy a OS9 bootable version of the new Dual1.25s. If you did they are actually no different internally then the old Dual1.25s from what I've heard and seen.

14. law guy macrumors 6502a

law guy

If anyone has a meter that could quantify at least the decible level (and post what distance the measurement was taken at - 1m from the front being a good benchmark for comparison), that would be helpful.

Re: the bad case design from an airflow point of view. I've seen a few references to expected new case designs with the 970s. Although Apple may just focus on the sexy, use the word "massively" a lot in their press release and not really focus on environmental factors like noise. Perhaps another reason to wait and see how that turns out.

15. noelmac75 thread starter macrumors regular

I can definately say that these new powermacs are loud, i got my dual 1.25 with 17" display on wednesday and after a couple of days it started to irrate me, the whining noise is so loud, i even put it in the cupboard and i could still here it, so i've decided to send it back, iam getting a refund and i will probably buy the imac now, i dont care if its slower and just cant stand that noise in my room.

16. noelmac75 thread starter macrumors regular

Re: Re: New Dual 1.25Ghz Noise problems!

I know, its the second one, and i wasnt at all happy with it, there not quiet at all, it gives out a constant whining noise. Iam sending it back and getting an imac.

17. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: Re: Re: New Dual 1.25Ghz Noise problems!

But was it the model that still booted OS9 or was it the new model that only boots OSX? You would have had to make a conscious decission in the ordering of a new model that still booted OS9.

18. noelmac75 thread starter macrumors regular

Re: Re: Re: Re: New Dual 1.25Ghz Noise problems!

The one that boots into osx only

19. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New Dual 1.25Ghz Noise problems!

I guess you would really hate the older MDD models then.

Sound noise and quality are really a personal perspective thing. Some people can't handle a constant tone at all wether it's a high volume or not.

20. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

I have a dual 1ghz proccessor powermac g4. It does boot in 9 and 10. The fans are loud but not unbearable. I havnt noticed a whining noise like mentioned in previous posts. It does produce alot of heat though. I keep it on top of my desk with my display now, instead of in the cubby whole under the desk to avoid it overheating. Is there any way to fix this problem?

21. noelmac75 thread starter macrumors regular

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New Dual 1.25Ghz Noise problems!

I like a computer thats quite silent, that comes first, iam only using it for home use, i guess i was so used to my powermac g4 450mhz until i heard the new mdd. How quiet are the new imacs? do they use any fans.

22. ethan macrumors newbie

Don't get it in a wad!

Will you old ladies settle down before you go through a box of Depends!
    MDDs are the OLD noisy pieces of crap that Apple put out from Aug 2002 to Jan 2003. They are considered 2002 models.
    The new G4s are called FW800s because of the new 800 firewire in them. Apple made many improvements such as thermal cooling heat sink, new PS fans, etc.etc. They are VERY quiet. I've heard several 1.25 model FW800s and they were VERY QUIET. NO BUZZ, NO WHINE.
    If this guy has a whiny 1.25, then it is the OLD MDD. Apple still sells 1.25 G4s that boot into OS9.x, but they are of the OLD MDD design and are noisy and whiny.

23. ddtlm macrumors 65816

noelmac75:

You know, sometimes fans are defective, or perhaps there is a defect elsewhere in your case causing unusual vibration. If I were you I'd pop the computer open and try to find the source of the noise. Take a finger a slow down/stop one fan at a time (by pressing in the middle like a brake, not by putting your finger to the blades ;) ).

You may be wasting your time sending it back over something silly.

Edit: I just remembered that some of those fans will be difficult to get to. Anyway, you should still be able to track down which one is loud. And start up with the hard disk unplugged if the noise could be coming from that.

24. noelmac75 thread starter macrumors regular

Re: Don't get it in a wad!

Its a 2003 model for definate, FW800 is on the back, its not that loud, its just the high pitch sound that irrates me, theres no buzzing from it either.

25. noelmac75 thread starter macrumors regular

Its not as loud as the old mdds of what i've heard, i just dont like the noise it makes, especially when iam in a quiet room