new dual 867 and fires

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Omad0n, Sep 27, 2002.

1. Omad0n macrumors regular

Hi all, I just I'd post this cause I've not seen anything like it ever before. My new dual G4 867 basicaly caught fire the other day. or at the very least something was wsmoking like the devil from it. And as I smelled inside the case I found the smell to be coming from under the heat sink. Thankfully Apple has been very good about getting me taken care of, and i went and picked up a new machine just 2 days ago. The other has been sent back to Apple and hopefully they'll figure out what was wrong with it. if you've got any questions just ask, and I'll try to answer them to the best of my abiiity.

Steve

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

3. Omad0n thread starter macrumors regular

no unfortunetly I didn't. Although a picture wouldn't have told anything really since all the smoke was coming from under the heat sink. The computer was just smoking a whole lot, although it was a white smoke.

4. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

I didn't know the devil smoked.

beej, maybe you can bum some sticks from him. :p

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

6. Omad0n thread starter macrumors regular

nope. In fact the only time I ever hear the big fan run is if I turn the ocmputer off and then turn it on again immediately. And I mean immediately. Cause if I wait even like 10 sec. the big fan won't come on.

7. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

powersupply went dead ALREADY it sounds like...did u smell any burning oil smell? cuz back around xmas my peecee had that problem, it smelled like burning oil and the puter stopped booting up or anything so i had to get the powersupply replaced...

8. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

usually under the heatsink is the processors. is it possible that they just burnt up?

9. Omad0n thread starter macrumors regular

deffinetly wasn't the power supply. And yes under the heat sink is the processors, which is what I suspect was burning. technically the computer stil worked. I could start it up and such, and it would boot fine, but the smoke would asl ocome with it. Also I only booted it up once after I notticed the smoke. Don't ask why cause I really don't know. It was very early in the morning, and I'm just happy I woke up.

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If the fan blowing across the CPU daughtercard doesn't work as advertised, there is a possibility that the power supply located on that card could have problems.

Earlier in the year I joked about the newest uber virus for PCs would shut the fans off to create flaming PCs, now we have a software controlled fan on the Macs. :(

11. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

All i know is that:

no fan+[large heatsink+2(867Mhz processors)]= one ****load of heat

White smoke atleast is a good sign... i tihnk its eletrical fires and shorts taht produce white smoke. If it was black smoke, you probably would have had to evacuate ur house cuz something besides the computer was burning. :eek: :eek: :eek: