New Dual Core PowerMacs - Expected Release Price??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by JasonGough, Aug 18, 2005.

1. JasonGough macrumors regular

JasonGough

Just wondering if anyone cares to throw in a guess as to how much the new updated PowerMacs will retail at, if they are updated to Dual core at Paris Expo.

Do apple usualy price the updates at the current price of the previous model, or do you think we will see a price increase?

2. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

the prices are usually very similar... not more than a $200 difference either way i'd imagine

3. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

I have a feeling the prices will be exactly the same. Apple will be get a lot of bad media if they raise their prices, as "their prices are already to high". Tha why I think they will be the same.

4. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

Agree.......the PowerMac line we have today with Dual 2.0 2.3 2.7
    They cost the same as the original 1.6 1.8 and Dual 2.0 did in 2003 ;)

5. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

The powermac line rarely sees big price adjustments...expect the new powermacs to cost around the same as the current ones - but that makes it a bit of a bargain since the new machines are better.

6. Xephian macrumors 6502a

Xephian

The Power Macs and almost every other mac is already expensive and overpriced.

7. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Prices do drop, but not by a huge amount.

In terms of value for money, a Dual Core PM will of course be a much better buy than the current model.

8. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

You get what you pay for. The best way to prove that is sit a pc next to a mac.

9. JasonGough thread starter macrumors regular

JasonGough

its good to know that they should remain at the same price.

will be very exciting to see what (if anything) is realased at the Paris Expo. It is about time they did somthing major to the PowerMacs rather than just a slight speed bump.

Does anyone think there is likely to be a Rev B of the Dual core powerMacs before the MacTels come out, or do you think the dual cores will come out with no problems/bugs atall?

10. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

I wouldn't expect there to be any serious problems. My understanding is that dual-core CPUs are basically drop-in replacements that require no revision to the motherboard. No additional cost for Apple, oodles of additional power, and oodles o' sales. Almost no time diverted from the Intel pursuit.

11. JasonGough thread starter macrumors regular

JasonGough

that sounds pretty cool.

Will be excitedly awaiting the expo, good time to release some new Macs aswell, just before my Student Loan comes in ;)

12. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I don't expect any change in price either. Apple is good about giving us increased specifications at the same prices. We will know for sure in a month.

13. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

i'm thinking there will be a single 2GHz powermac a dual 2.3GHz powermac and a quad 2.5GHz powermac.

14. JasonGough thread starter macrumors regular

JasonGough

ah i hope not!

i hope they just upgrade each current power mac with the dual core proccessors, i can only afford the mid spec power mac, so that better be dual dual-core or i'll be angry!!

15. VanMac macrumors 6502a

VanMac

I would think that all the PMs would be upgraded with new dual core processors.

That would allow single core for iMac, and mabe even the mini.

Either way, I'm saving up to buy one of these new PMs. Really enjoy the little iBook, but would like to do some heavy duty video editing, etc.

16. lopresmb macrumors 6502

I wonder though if they will have to start dropping prices as they get nearer to the intel switch (or at least the publicity is there)?

Or better yet, once the first Mactel is released I would have to bet that the prices of the PPC offering would have to go down...just a thought

17. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i hope the prices go down, but i think we are just dreaming

18. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

I think that prices will go up ever so slightly ($100). Apple takes any opportunity to charge more for "new" technology. I still think that it would be well worth the extra cost.

Hickman

19. Xephian macrumors 6502a

Xephian

20. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Same price or cheaper i seriously doubt they will be more expensive,

ShadOW

21. JasonGough thread starter macrumors regular

JasonGough

yeah they seriusly better not go any more expensive. realy are taking the piss at the moment. £1700 for a computer. man. think what you could build in normal PC land with that? could have about 10 processors going for the same cost of 2 PPC chips :)

but a dual dual-core G5 would make my day :)

22. Xephian macrumors 6502a

Xephian

Yeah, you can build an amazing PC with that money. Something like Dual Core AMD with SLi 7800 GTX's and 4GB RAM.

23. JasonGough thread starter macrumors regular

JasonGough

yeah man i know. AMD are pretty good value at the moment.

I'm sure i've read this somewhere before, but i've forgot, so can anyone enlighten me as to the expected speeds of the expected dual core processors to be used, or is it still totally up in the air?

24. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

2.5GHz, 100MHz faster than the 4800+ X2 and 300MHz faster than the SMP capable opteron 275

25. JasonGough thread starter macrumors regular

JasonGough

so you think with this revision of the powermac, if they do put 2 dual core proccessors in it, it will finally make the powermac faster than any PC available?