Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nlj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2006
My girlfriend bought a new educational imac (when an individual still could) and we booted it up no problem. Downloaded system updates as recommended by Apple and restarted the computer. On restart we got a dull blue screen and no cursor. After talking to Apple for a while the computer finally booted back up when resetting the PRAM. We restarted the computer to make sure it wouldn't happen again. No problem. Eventually we turned the imac off for the night and the next morning when we tried to start the computer we faced the dull blue screen again. Called Apple. Again it booted up only when resetting the PRAM (couldn't boot from the OSX install disk or boot up in safe mode or etc). I read somewhere online that the edu imac would need it's PRAM reset if one changed the display brightness (!) but we didn't change those settings at all. Apple is having us send it back and will send a new one. This seems like a strange problem. Today I started the computer up and didn't need to reset the PRAM. The shipping labels come from Apple today and obviously we want a computer that doesn't need to have its PRAM reset when it boots in the morning (not that I know what that means even but shouldn't the thing just start?). Any thoughts on why this might be happening? Did we just wind up with a bugged out machine?

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
Sounds like you got a bad apple (pun intended). My personal experience with Apple computers have been very good, but every company produces a few lemons and Apple is no exception. Just send it back and they will fix it or replace it. At any rate, you definitely don't want to deal with a computer that requires a PRAM reset on almost every restart.

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
steamboat26 said:
Heres a stupid question: if you get a "bad apple" and send it back, can you pay them more money and upgrade your computer?

I would think that's a yes, although they'll probably cancel your existing order and then ask you to order something else. (that was my experience).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.