New eject delay. Good or bad.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dogbone, Mar 26, 2007.

?

New keyboard eject delay. Good idea or not.

1. I prefer the new delay

52 vote(s)
    54.7%
  2. It's OS tweaking gorn mad

28 vote(s)
    29.5%
  3. I didn't even notice

15 vote(s)
    15.8%
  1. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

I accidentally found out that a tiny eject delay has been built into the 10.4.9 keyboard eject. Until I knew about the tweak I just thought my keyboard was cacked.

OK in the olden days before the new delay I admit I did accidentally press the eject key a few times a year. Which won't happen any longer but the payoff is that even after a week I still cannot get used to this new delay and I now have to hit the eject key an extra half dozens time a day.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

3. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

I agree, it's nice on notebooks, not so nice on desktops. It's just a problem of the keyboard layout.

4. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Not really good or bad. I don't use the eject key very much as I ripped my whole CD collection long ago.

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

it doesnt bother me a lot, but i haven't totally gotten used to it yet either.

6. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

I find it annoying - not for ejecting, but for putting my notebook to sleep (option - command - eject)

7. BigPrince macrumors 68020

It should be an OPTION and not a forced.

Im so used to the old way i like it better.

8. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Does it really matter?? Is anyone's time so important that they can't sacrifice an extra 5 seconds a day to ejecting things from their Macs?

9. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I like to use the option+command+eject to put my iMac to sleep. It is nice not having to wait for the computer to go to sleep just to make sure you held the eject button down long enough. I liked it the way it was. I am sure it is nice for Laptops though.

10. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

I can honestly say that I had no idea. It bit a buddy (and recent switcher) of mine, though. He said he thought he'd broken something on the keyboard :D

11. Shotgun OS macrumors 6502a

Eh, I dont like it. It takes to much time. When I want something to eject, I want it to eject immediately.

12. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Well it saves me from accidentally hitting the button whilst typing in lectures (the cd loading noise from my macbook draws looks every time) but I still prefer it how it used to be.

13. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

I'm probably the only desktop user that likes it, but that's because in my setup when I pull my graphics tablet forward it would invariably hit that eject button just about every time. I do agree this should be an optional setting, though.

14. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

The delay time should be a preference. Then I could spend hours each day changing and experimenting....with the delay time.

15. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I would really like to see someone come up with a work around for this, other then using a non-Apple keyboard, which supposedly works. I would love to try myself, but I am not good with code.

16. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

yeah, I can definitely see that.

errr. errr. chuck errrt chunk.

17. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

still there with my Macally keyboard, its more of a software thing than hardware.

i wouldn't mind a pref for it. i have no need for a delay on a desktop or full sized keyboard, but on my powerbook or any laptop i can definitely see it being useful.

18. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I guess I don't notice anything new. But, I always thought there was a bit of a delay with any Mac.

19. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

I was wondering what was wrong with my eject button after a while. I guess it's ok to hold the eject button so you don't accidentally eject a disc.

Not a big deal.

20. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

Well, in fairness to Apple, page 23 of my iMac manual says "Press and hold this key to eject a disc" for the description of the eject key. So maybe Apple just now got around to the hold part.

However, the delay should be for disk ejection only and independent of other key combinations such as putting the computer to sleep (command-option-eject) which should be instantaneous.

21. Cult Follower macrumors 6502a

Cult Follower

I like it, now i can't accidentaly eject a disc, but if i want to it only takes like an extra second or two.

22. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

I seriously thought that my keyboard was broken, and I almost bought a new one. When I put a finger on each corner of the key and pressed down, it would work, but I just thought that the key was broken.

I don't see the reason for it because if you accidentally pressed it, it wouldn't eject if the disk was in use.

23. dr_lha macrumors 68000

Its not a "new delay". My Powerbook has had this delay since I first bought it with Jaguar installed. The fact is this is a fix for a bug that affected Intel Macs where the eject button activated without the need to hold the eject key down. Personally I found this bug really f***ing annoying on my new MBP, as I kept hitting eject when pressing delete causing the damn drive to whirr into life.

The pause is a *fix*, not a new feature, and I'm very glad for it.

24. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

I don't think it's that because the 12" PowerBooks have always done that whereas every mac, to my knowledge, had an eject key where you could press it without holding it. My iMac G5 wasn't this way before...

25. dr_lha macrumors 68000

All Pre-Intel Mac laptops have the delay, i.e Powerbooks and iBooks, at least the ones I've had experience with (Aluminium Powerbooks and white iBooks).

Perhaps desktops didn't, but I think my PowerMac G5 did.