New eMac - Dead on Arrival - Repair or Replace?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by EXV, May 20, 2004.

1. EXV
    macrumors newbie

Mar 15, 2004
    My eMac arrived a few days ago (purchased from the Apple Internet site) but was not opened until this evening. I powered it on for the first time and saw the Apple logo, but just as the logo appeared, I lightly bumped the desk and the eMac lost power. I was unable to power it back on.

I took the eMac to my local Apple Store a few minutes before they closed. They spent a few minutes with it and tried to reset it, but were unable to power it on. They offered to repair the new eMac (1-5 days) or I could contact Apple and arrange for it to be replaced.

Considering the fact that it lost power only after bumping the desk, I thought the problem might be something as minor as a loose cable. I don't mind the Apple store making the repair, but perhaps I should simply have it replaced.

Any opinions?

Thank you!
  2. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Call and tell them it was DOA on first use, and even an Apple store was unable to get it running.
  3. EXV
    thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 15, 2004
    Right - I plan to do that in the AM. However, should I take the store's offer to repair it or should I request a replacement?

Thanks again.
  4. macrumors 68000

Feb 19, 2003
    Planet Zebes
    Replace it. Do not risk having a lemon.....which happens sometimes with computers, cars, tv's, etc.......I had a lemon (17" 1GHz PowerBook Alu) and it had several problems that needed fixed and eventually they replaced it after a month and a half of these problems (and them having it for a month and not being able to fix it d/t lack of parts).
  5. macrumors 68020

Jul 6, 2003
    Los Angeles