New eMac owners speak up!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Kirk, Apr 15, 2004.

1. Kirk macrumors regular

Kirk

A little early maybe, but I am curios as to how the new eMacs perform in real life. How does iLife (Garageband . . .) work? Does Photoshop run Okey? Tried any games? Is it noisy?

Speak up when you get to try one!

:)

2. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

Well since noone probaly has one right now...and it was to days ago when they were introdeuced....

3. evil macrumors 6502

i have a 1ghz model of the emac and i think it is excellent. i have used final cut on it and played games. Games arent going to run on the highest settings, but i used to play sim city 4 on my emac a lot. i would totally recommend the new emac. its a bargain for the price.

4. DaYC-Ent macrumors newbie

i only do spreadsheets and amateur photoshops, but games are the only place where i have a question about eMacs. mostly, it's either Neverwinter Nights or AmericasArmy. i'm used to playing with low details on my PC, so it wouldn't be that big of a change. but this would be my first mac. would the new eMac be worth it? the iMac setup that i want is $1200 more than the eMac. which should i go with?? :confused:

5. evil macrumors 6502

well. i would say if the question is only between the imac and emac. i would recommend the emac. it is a better machine for the price. i think that the imacs are overpriced.

6. Kirk thread starter macrumors regular

Kirk

Yeah, I know, but I just couldn’t wait! Anyone know when the first ones will be shipped . . ? If you have placed an order, keep us posted!

Nice to see someone with even worse spelling then me . . . ;)

7. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I know the question...

I have a PB 12"w/512mb and think of upgrading the RAM to 1gb. Thought for about $1000 I can add a desktop to my lap combo and get the eMac (Edu) wit a 160gb HDD, AE, BT, and superdrive; and have a good back up if the PB ever died, and get better performance when working on Photoshoo fils that don't require me to be portable.

8. Scenicroadways macrumors regular

emac hd

one thing that no one realizes is that the Emac still has a 5400 rpm HD, whereas the Imac has a 7200 rpm. This can be a big difference in speed despite the Emac's superior 512k cache. Too bad it didnt get the 7200 rpm drive and it would be a perfect cheap machine.

9. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Yeah, I wonder how much extra the Super would have cost with the faster harddrive.

10. aethier macrumors 6502a

aethier

well, i don't have one, but i have a 1.25 ghz powerbook.. so the specs are near identical, minus the fact that i have a 9600... anyways, well from my powerbook view, it is pretty good (providing it preforms the ssame way, i don't see why not)

aethier

11. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

Are we sure of this yet? I have a May '03 revision eMac and it absolutely does have a 7200 rpm hard drive. I verified this by matching the model number off of the drive via System Profiler to the specs for that same model drive on the IBM/Hitachi website at the time. Someone will need to check System Profiler on a new eMac to see whether the new ones do or not.

12. pinto32 macrumors 6502

Even though the videocard still is at 32MB of DDR, is a Radeon 9200 now, which should be a lot better than the old 7500. If you really wanna know fast, you could take a trip to an Apple Store or CompUSA....

13. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

I have the 2nd Generation eMac (With the ATi 7500) and I think it freaking rocks. Best computer I've ever owned and used.

And now that they've just been updated and the price stayed in one play, I say buy one.

Now.

Why haven't you bought one yet?

14. Kirk thread starter macrumors regular

Kirk

I was wondering about the speed of the Harddrives! Does anyone know for sure? Maybe someone can drop by a Apple Store today and check it out. A bit strange that you can’t find the information on the Apple website, don’t you think? Maybe the BTO 160 GB HD is 7200 rpm?

:confused:

15. diehlr macrumors member

If this is in fact true, it's not that big of a deal. Go grab a fast drive from NewEgg for under $100 and throw it in there. Then sell the old 40/80 gig for $30-40 or so. For a mere $60-70 you will have a much larger and faster drive.

16. micvog macrumors 6502

micvog

IIRC after the last eMac introductions, the conclusion was that the stock HD on the base eMac was 5400 RPM and the others were 7200 RPM.

17. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

Don't worry about the speed of the Hard Drive. It can easily be replaced if you think that it is too slow. Of course if you don't invest in some extra RAM, then the Hard Drive speed won't matter much.

18. cait-sith macrumors regular

i placed my order for a new emac around 9 am CDT on tuesday. still hasn't shipped. it's reaching the end of the est. shipping final date.

as for the disk, i'm sure it's slower (5400) since apple won't admit the rpm to us.

is the hard disk a user-servicable part like ram? i don't think so. there's no mention on how to do it in the manual.

i'll run some benchmarks and let you know when i get it.

19. Kirk thread starter macrumors regular

Kirk

Great! Keep us posted!

The last I have heard about the HD, is that the 40 GB is 5400 rpm and the 80 (and 160 GB) probably is 7200 rpm, but I haven’t got it confirmed from anyone who actually has tried one.

I think I will order it with a 80 GB HD, since I already have a 160 GB external one. Rather use the money on RAM.

I think swapping your HD would void your warranty.

20. Kirk thread starter macrumors regular

Kirk

Bad "news" . . !

:eek: :eek: :eek:

From Appleinsider:

"According to sources in manufacturing and reseller channels, Apple has recently placed its 1.25GHz eMac SuperDrive model on a short-term quality hold. While most resellers have yet to receive the new desktop, those who have are being instructed not to begin selling units to customers.

In a memo to employees Apple noted that there is "no confirmed problem" with existing inventory of the new eMac, but acknowledged ongoing testing of the high-end configuration. AppleInsider can only assume that a potential issue relating to the computer's new 8X Super Drive was recently questioned.

Apple's online stores in the US and UK currently reflect a 1 to 3 day delivery estimation for the 1.25 GHz Combo Drive eMac. However, the stores estimate a 5 to 7 day and 2 to 3 week wait on the Super Drive eMac, respectively."

21. hob macrumors 68020

hob

At my school (i had nothing to do with this - and the people in charge no nothing about macs!) we have lots of emacs now in the media/film and music depts. They all have 256MB of RAM - and the video editing ones rely on external LACIE HDD's to import video from cameras - otherwise they drop frames quite nastily... I think the ext. drives are 7200 or 9600(?) but I don't know for sure - would more RAM mean that they didn't need the disks? (other than for storeage purposes :p)

22. Kirk thread starter macrumors regular

Kirk

Does anyone know if the new eMacs are at the Apple Stores yet? Has anyone tried one? (Not talking about the online stores of course . . .)

:eek:

23. imac_japan macrumors member

imac_japan

I went shopping for a second hand Emac last week in Tokyo (before the updates came out)....I didn't buy one due to one reason ! I saw alot of models which had broken screens. Strange ! The staff in the shops said that the screen gives out (in the old models)...So I would wait for the bugs to be lroned out

24. sjk macrumors 6502a

Yep; only the combo-drive model since of the delay with the SuperDrive model.

25. Kirk thread starter macrumors regular

Kirk

Does anyone know if the new eMac will accept 1gb PC2700 RAM?