New eMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by serpico, Sep 19, 2004.

1. serpico macrumors regular

serpico

I'm planning to get another mac and was considering the eMac. According to this site, April was the last revision. Is there any rumors of a new eMac coming out soon and will it be just a simple upgrade ?

Thanks in advance.

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

One of three things will happen...

1. Apple will speed bump it once (maybe twice) over the next 18-24 months before killing it.

2. Apple will wait for the G5 to be drop in cost before moving it to the new chipset. Since the eMac just got a new architecture/chipset don't expect it for awhile.

3. Apple will do the same this with this machine that they did with the old iMac G3 CRT -- nothing for the next 18-24 months except drop the price before killing it.

---

All depends on how much they expect the costs of LCDs to drop in the next 18-24 months -- and what will be happening with the PowerBook/iBook, since the eMac now shares that chipset with the last revision.

3. serpico thread starter macrumors regular

serpico

I can't see a G5 in the next revision, the iMac just got it. Apple needs a low cost G4 mac and the eMac fits the bill. We got the iBook as well with the G4 and I can see Apple continuing this for the next revision.

I like the eMac and it will run better with 1G of ram than my iBook G3 700. The price is good for me too, at $1049 CDN. I don't want to get a pc even though I need to one day as I use AutoCAD everyday. It's tempting, but rather try the eMac route and stick with Apple.

Anyone suggest that I look for a used G4 Powermac ? Would that be better for me, perhaps a Quicksilver model. Garageband probably works better on an older Powermac.

4. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

i don't think the next revision will be greatly different
    maybe a slight price cut 699 for the low end one so apple would have something to compete with the mid range computer market
    there probably will be a slight speed boost but that's about it
    if you need one now get it now

5. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

wouldn't it be nice to have it running natively on osx? :) a while ago there was some movement about getting a port, but haven't heard from it for a long time. have you heard anything about it? is it true that autodesk is thinking about making a mac port? maybe they decided against it because there has been no further rumors about it...

6. Doraemon macrumors 6502

I emailed AutoDesk last week and - very unfortunately - their answer was that a Mac version is not planed.

7. dbauer macrumors member

The eMac in its current form is an excellent purchase. I would recommend it over a quicksilver PM because the fastest you will find is 867 or dual 1ghz and both on eBay are more expensive than an eMac. The eMac is at least 25% quicker and it has DDR memory which is cheaper to upgrade than SDRAM, especially in higher density chips like 512mb and 1gb. You can put two 1gb PC 3200 DDR chips in a eMac for under $400.

As for when it will be updated, I haven't heard any new rumors but there are some interesting details happening in the next month. All of Apple's promotions end on Friday of this week (25th). The eMac usually has a 6th month lifespan before an update and October is the 6th month. The real question is: What can apple update in the eMac. Here's my speculation for an October update.

Low end:
    1.33 Ghz G4
    256mb PC3200 DDR
    80gig SATA HDD
    Combo Drive
    64mb FX5200 Ultra video

High end:
    1.5 Ghz G4
    256mb PC3200 DDR
    160gig SATA HDD
    16x Superdrive w/ dual layer support
    64mb FX5200 Ultra video

As you can see, there is not much change from the current lineup except for the video card. I think Apple will go with an all FX5200 offering just as in the new G5 iMac to limit support costs. The bump to 64mb will be welcome for gamers even if it is a FX5200. The hard drive bump makes sense as there is almost no difference in cost between an 80 gig and a 40 gig HDD. There has been a significant reduction in price for all hard drive capacities with even the 160gig drives being almost the same price as the 80gig drives now. The Superdrive bump will be interesting because there have been many people waiting to see what drive Apple will natively support at the 16x speed. My bet is a Pioneer DVR108 drive which can be had for less than $90 through NewEgg.

8. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

go for the emac it will have faster speed for anything you could get for an equivalent price. i do not think they will be replacing it anytime soon other than a slight speed bump. how bad would it look if the low end desktop had a G5 yet the high end powerbook laptops did not?!!! i really think it will be a while before the emacs see a g5

9. serpico thread starter macrumors regular

serpico

I did respond to that Autodesk email and was hoping that they would port it to OSX. Oh well.

Thanks for the help guys, I'll wait for the next revision to the eMac and get one then. I got an interested buyer for the iBook.

10. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

11. serpico thread starter macrumors regular

serpico

Me too, hope you're right. :D