New Email FREE Server...Your Thoughts for "Switch"

Discussion in 'Community' started by djwoolf, Aug 4, 2002.

1. djwoolf macrumors member

So now all of us who dont want to pay Mr. Jobs for email are about to be s.o.l for email. We only have days left. I personally havent got a new addy yet I was looking around for one that was good. Put up your thought up on your favorite new free email server.

2. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

i'll probably go back to hotmail or even yahoo.... kind of sad, I really liked my mac.com email....:(

p.s. no i never used any of the other services so don't even flame me about it being worth the hundred bucks....:mad:

3. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

I like having pop/imap access which hotmail doesn't do (Im not sure about Yahoo)..so I went to fastmail.fm...they have a selection of domain names available...and it is free...I started another thread about this a few days ago..

4. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: New Email FREE Server...Your Thoughts for "Switch"

You actually have 57 days left, which is well over a month (damned close to two months actually, ya twit).

Don't you have email addresses from your ISP?? Why not just use those ya twit???

My favorite 'free' email service is the one that came with my Earthlink account (DSL). With that, I have six (yes 6) email accounts. If you go for Earthlink dial-up (for all your cheap pricks) you get eight (yes 8) email accounts.

Instead of pissing and moaning about a free service that has gone to an anual fee (for a few dollars a month if you break it up) why don't you use the email addresses that came with your ISP. If you are using one of the cheap ISP accounts, then I see a cheap-assed trend.

BTW, I never used the email part of my iTools account, so it doesn't matter to me at all. I use it for the disk space and that is all.

Seems like some people are just not happy unless they have something to biatch about... :rolleyes: Very pathetic actually. :p

5. balliet macrumors member

Re: Re: New Email FREE Server...Your Thoughts for "Switch"

What happens when you change ISPs? The whole idea of the mac.com thing was one email address for life.

6. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

now what ever happened to being able so change your account to an email only account?
    did that ever happen?
    i used my iDisk once and i could live without it but i really would love to have a @mac.com email address just becsuse it is short and to the point. it also shows that i am a proud owner of an apple computer

7. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: Re: Re: New Email FREE Server...Your Thoughts for "Switch"

Are you too lazy to just mass email everyone in your address book that your email address has changed??? Or are you that unhappy with your ISP, AND too lazy???

I have had the same ISP since I purchased my first Mac back in 1997, so I haven't had to worry about telling everyone that my address has switched.

BTW, sending out the email to everyone takes about 3 seconds longer then sending it to just one person. :p At least it is with the Mail app from OS X.

8. djwoolf thread starter macrumors member

Hey now alpha lets not get to name calling. And no im not cheap im thrifty.
    Im a college student who works part time and studys full time. I liked .mac because i could check it at home and at school. My roomate has the email account from our ISP b/c his name is on the account. Nuf said chill out man.

9. djwoolf thread starter macrumors member

And no I wasnt compaining the point was to see what other Email servers have merit. Besides just because you didnt use the email function doesnt mean you have to be rude. Anyway why pay for the cow when you can get the milk for free?

10. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

11. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Re: Re: Re: Re: New Email FREE Server...Your Thoughts for "Switch"

I love it when my irresponsible friends spam me with **** like that, and I have to go and update their info in my address book myself.

12. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

i would really suggest trying to find a friend who has purchased a .mac account and ask them if they can add an extra email address ($10/yr) for you. Nearly every email service that is worth having is a paid service and is usually 15-30 $ a year, so apple's price is prettty darn good. especially considering the quality of apple's service as compared to other email services.

hotmail was pretty nice (for webmail) before ms bought them but now they are constantly plagued with problems. yahoo is even worse than hotmail. most of these free services sell your name to advertisers so you get tons of spam.

but for $10 a year you can have your .mac email account.

13. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

they do have http email access, which u can use on entourage i think, and outlook express on os9

14. balliet macrumors member

Like alex_ant said earlier, I hate it when people do that. I personally don't really keep anyone in my address book. I just know the email addresses of most of the people I converse with regularly. It also means resubscribing to any mailing lists you are on. And lets say someone finds a post on groups.google.com that you posted with your old address. They now have no way of contacting you.

No matter how hard you try to inform everyone, you will always miss people. In short, a change of email address is a giant pain in the ass for many people.

15. sneed macrumors regular

sneed@beatadeadhorse.com

If your friends and relatives are that annoyed by updating their address books, I hate to see what would happen when you change your phone number, or address. Contact information changes for everyone from time to time, and email is no different.

If what you really want is one single address for life, buy your own DNS, and have absolute control.

If what you want is a free address, expect to be inconvenienced.

16. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New Email FREE Server...Your Thoughts for "Switch"

I wouldn't want you on my email address book if you think someone telling you that their email address has changed is spam. :rolleyes: :p

The Mail app from OS X keeps track of any email you have sent using it, and places the addresses within the Address Book app. So, if you use the Mail app., all you would have to do is delete the old one. OR, just make sure that the new one comes up before you send the message off. It takes all of a second to check the email address you are sending to (which I wish more people would do).

Refusing/failing to take one or two extra steps that take all of a few seconds IS being lazy, pure and simple. :p :D :cool:

BTW, someone letting you know that their email address has change is being responsible (NOT irresponsible). :p