New enclousure, I don't think so:

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by MacManiac1224, May 21, 2002.

1. MacManiac1224 macrumors regular

MOSR said that the new G4 coming in MWNY will sport a New enclousure, I don't think so. My reasoning is because, historically they have a revamp of thier enclosure either mid-way through a prouduvt line, or when something radically new will make an appearance. Why would they release a G4 with a new enclosure in MWNY, and then release a G5 in MWSF with the same enclosure? I don't think so. They are going to want the consumer to know just by looking at the case wheter it is a G4 or G5. If they do release a G4 with a new enclosure, then don't expect a G5 until MWNY 2003.

2. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Don't look now, but ...

What you describe as not happening is exactly what happened a few years ago.

Apple moved the PowerMac G3 from a beige case to the good ol' Blue and White. Then, they dropped the G4 into the same case and colored it graphite.

So if Apple puts out a new G4 enclosure and then puts the G5 into at the next update, they'll be following their old trend.

3. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Plus, the Quicksilver case was a new 'modified' G4 design, but not an entirely new look. I think its possible to produce a modified G4 case, and then have a total revamp when the G5 appears.

This is quite similar to how cars change their look slightly every year, but have a totally new revamp every 5 years or so.

4. MacManiac1224 thread starter macrumors regular

it think you guys are right, I guess I was being a little premature

5. Kid Red macrumors 65816

Well, with tower sales becoming laughable, Apple better do something to get the interest back. I'm still banking on MWSF as to when I'll put my dual gig on ebay so I can get the long awaited G5 (hopes)

6. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

I would believe either way, in all honesty. I think the next tower revision is going to be big, but will it be big enough to warrant a tower redesign? If there's 6 PCI slots, quite possibly... then they could either call the new G4's the G5's just for the sake of marketing, or just stick with the G4 name in the soon-to-be G5 enclosure. Who knows. I have a feeling the new powermacs will be pretty darn cool, but I'm still probably going to wait until 2003.

7. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

Yep... it might seem logical to wait for a new chip to produce a new enclosure, but that has little to do with real world sales & marketing.

We've had the same PowerMac enclosure (more or less) for over 3 years. I think Apple might be ready to revamp now. Boost sales for the last generation G4 PowerMacs and pave the way for the new look of Apple products (brushed metal).

8. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

I would like to see two different case designs for the pro macs. (I know this is asking for alot). I wouldn't mind the six slot tower, but how about a nice compact, yet full powered machine with say, two pci slots on a riser board, and an agp slot.

yes, the big powermacs are nice looking, but they are fricking huge. My Ti800 fits rather nicely on my desk, I don't want/need another giant box in my office. I want something I can put under my monitor. I don't want an iMac (though they are nice). Not until they have dual procs.

just mho