New England Snow Storm

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by CompUser, Jan 3, 2006.

1. CompUser Guest

No school today for me. We have like 16" of snow here. I woke up at 9:00 and my mom told me to go out and snow blow the driveway. I opened the garage doors and I see 16" wall of snow. I tried to move my sister's jeep into one of the garage bays to make snow blowing easier. Unfortunatly, it couldn't make it 20 yards up a slight hill into the garage. It has quadra-track, I pushed down pretty hard- and it went a ways, but it couldn't make it up the slight incline. I tried locking it in 1st but nothing worked. It took me about 1.5 hours to do my driveway cause the snow kept on coming over the top of my tractors snow blower no matter how slow I went. Then I see the a town F-350 plowing my coldesac- where there are no houses and spent like 10 min plowing it. Hey buddy wanna come plow my driveway? LOL

I then went to my neighbors house to do their driveway- they are an elderly couple. they're driveway is fairly and there was no way I was going to do that with the tractor- so I did it with a push snow blower. With each pass I could cut into the snow maybe 3"-4". It took 2.5hrs to do theirs. They too have a Jeep Grand Cherokee and the guy couldn't get it into the garage until I snowblowed a path.

I come back home to find no power. Right now the generator is running. My mom previously tried to make a fire. Unfortunatly she though the fluke thing was open when it really wasn't. The alarm went off, the security co. called and now my house smells like smoke. I also learned that jeeps are made out to be less off-road capable then they are made out to be LOL.

Anyone else get a lot of snow?
  2. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    What's with the U.S. populations obsession with shoveling their driveways after it's been snowing???

Snowday though... lucky bugger. :)

We're due some this weekend according to our weather folk, though that said... the way they were talking last week you'd have thought that a new ice age was dawning too. :rolleyes:
  3. puckhead193 macrumors G3

May 25, 2004
  4. FrankBlack macrumors 6502

Dec 28, 2005
    Looking for Lucy Butler
    Sorry Puckhead, Boston has only a wet dusting from this. Accumulations are from zero to 6 inches, just north and west of the city. I hearing that the towns west of Route 495 got a respectable dumping.

Of course, it's only the first week of January. :eek:
  5. joepunk macrumors 68030

Aug 5, 2004
    a profane existence
    I could never understand why someone would shovel/plow their driveway. Now a flat roof I can understand, but your own driveway, nope.

I would rather call in saying that I can't come to work than spending hours outside clearing the snow. A mostly the roads are not safe until the afternoon.
  6. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Jul 22, 2002
    Tacoma, WA
    I'm looking out my window right now and all I see is a bunch of rain. Sorry to ruin that hope for ya.

7. freeny macrumors 68020

Sep 27, 2005
    It makes it allot easier to get your car out. Also if you let the snow sit it slowly turns to ice making it even harder to get your car out as well as making it quite risky to walk on. Silly question if you ask me. :confused:

What do the Brits do?
  8. MacFan782040 macrumors 6502a

Dec 1, 2003
    Scranton, PA
    "I understand that Scissors can beat Paper, and I get how Rock can beat Scissors, but there's no ****ing way Paper can beat Rock. Paper is supposed to magically wrap around Rock leaving it immobile?Why the hell cant paper do this to scissors?Screw scissors, why can't paper do this to people? Why aren't sheets of college ruled notebook paper constantly suffocating students as they attempt to take notes in class? I'll tell you why, because paper can't beat anybody, a rock would tear that **** up in 2 seconds. When I play rock/ paper/ scissors, I always choose rock. Then when somebody claims to have beaten me with their paper I can punch them in the face with my already clenched fist and say, oh ****, I'm sorry, I thought paper would protect you, you *******."

Ok totally non relavent but it made me laugh.
  9. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    We don't really get enough snow often enough to have to do anything. Most places in the UK think 2 inches is a lot and it usually melts within a day or two all on its own...
  10. freeny macrumors 68020

Sep 27, 2005
    I think this belongs on page one dude:D
  11. CompUser thread starter Guest

Well I guess if yourself or your parents have high position jobs they cannot exactly always do it. My dad is a VP of a company, and he drives 1.5hrs each way everyday. He went today. Now imagine if the people that lived 20min away called in saying they couldn't make it.

and yes. If you don't remove it. It will turn to solid ice making it slippery for cars and people.

And this is my neighbors stuck car- in his driveway.

Attached Files:

12. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    I went to bed last night with a great feeling. I knew I wouldn't have to wake up until I felt like it. No work, no school until the 23rd. But no, the stupid ****ing snowstorm had to come and **** that up. My parents got the day off, so they woke me up at 10AM! Grr. Also, it changed to rain during the late morning here, so we lost some of the snow to heavy-as-**** slush, which is a pain in the ass. It's now snowing again. Stupid ****ing coastal crap. :mad:
  13. CompUser thread starter Guest

Well according to the news my town got the most amount of snow in CT getting 19" of snow. It was 16" earlier today around 11:00

Also, they said there were 190 accidents in CT today.
  14. latergator116 macrumors 68000

Sep 30, 2003
    Providence, RI
    I had school canceled today, but all we got got was a bunch of slush and other wet junk. Last time we had a snow storm they didn't cancel school and there turned out to be a lot of problems. I guess I can't blame the new superintendent since he came from Florida. ;)