New era for APPLE???

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by zulgand04, Mar 10, 2003.

1. zulgand04 macrumors regular

zulgand04

I know im going to hear it from everyone but i'll still say my opinion.
    We'll i just thought of something maybe considering the chip is 64bit, that this will be a new era for Apple. That said it could be a possibility that Apple could come out with a totally new line not a macintosh but something else, this could be like when Apple cahnged from the name Apple to Macintosh, and i can just imagine a tv comercial simular to the freaky mac intro one. If Apple did this it would totally be a new era and a great beginning for Apple as a major player in the PC market.

just my insaine dream
    -neal

2. macphoria macrumors 6502a

macphoria

I'm not quite getting what you are suggesting. Are you saying Apple will bring new PC era by changing the names of their products? Or by introducing a new hardware?

Changing the name could happen. Just before PowerPC, Power Mac lines were Quadras. That involved significant processor change, so going from 32 bit to 64 bit might prompt such change. After all, people have been waiting so long for G5/IBM 970 that Apple might really want to shock Apple fans.

In terms of hardware, I doubt anything new will come out. PC market is not doing so well and it is already flooded with gadgets that people can think of. It would be prudent for Apple to refine its current product lines than take a risk by introducing yet another hardware.

And just because Apple will be going to 64 bit processors doesn't mean things will change much. It will be a while before applications that can take advantage of 64 bit processing to come out. And some think 64 bit processing isn't even necessary for majority of the consumers. Intel, for example, hinted they might stick with 32 bit processors for few more years.

But whatever the case, 64 bit processor coming to Apple doesn't really mean new era for Apple and computing. It is just another step Apple will take, in uphill battle in PC market.

3. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

Re: New era for APPLE???

Who says that Apple isn't already a major player? They may have ~3% or so market share but their level of innovation is among the best in the industry. Also, their users are easily some of the most devoted fans of any computing platform (these boards, for example). Several expos throughout the year are devoted to Macintosh platform.

Sounds like a major player to me...

Although you may have meant that it would increase their market share.

4. zulgand04 thread starter macrumors regular

zulgand04

sorry if i was a bit confusing, my study hall was almost over. but both of your figured out exatly what i ment, bout apple cangeing there product name not an entire new line, and i ment to create more market share.

like i said just sumthing my mac crazy mind came up with lol.

neal

ps. im fimally not a newbie anymore yay :)

5. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

I wouldn't be too suprised, but if they changed it from Macintosh.. they would need to change the name of the OS, the iMac and the PowerMac together.

6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dont underestimate the mac, if you look the major players allways are looking or comparing to this small market share mac. why? because it is the best. Best style, innovation,software. the only part missing is hardware. with the 970 that part will also fall into place and if you want the best system it will be Mac. Almost ironic that ibm and Mac are now together. Of coarse we are still waiting for Apple to say so.

7. zulgand04 thread starter macrumors regular

zulgand04

yes very true one enimies now hopefully good buissness partners.

just like Ramiro Mendoza joining a team that was once his archrival now join forces.
    go red sox

sorry i just had to add that

-neal

8. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Quadra wasn't the name of the computer; it was the name of the model. the name of the computer was still macintosh. 'quadra' and similarly centris, plus, SE, LC, TV, etc etc are all variations on the numbering scheme, which Apple clearly abandoned years ago with the iMac.

i don't see it happening, ever, even in speculation. would be an interesting idea, i've often wondered if their Macintosh line would be discontinued in favor of something else... but i think that would require a major tech shift, like bioneural circuitry or something.

:)
    pnw