Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Toe

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
If https://buyersguide.macrumors.com// is any guide (and it does have a pretty good logic to it), then all of these products are due for an upgrade (or will be by MWSF):
  • Xserve
  • PowerBook
  • PowerMac
  • eMac
  • iPod
Only the iMac (hey MR! Update the photo!) and iBook won't be overdue by then... and the iMac will be getting pretty far along its lifecycle too.

This should be one heck of a show. If there's a phone too, and maybe some Tiger, well... a lot of Mac users might just die of product overload.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Even if xServe and PowerMac are ready to ship, I don't think they will be unveiled at MWSF at the expense of announcing updated eMac and PowerBook.

Most pundits do not expect xServe and PowerMac to get not much more than speed bump (and new graphics for PowerMac). If true, they could be announced slightly later.

Then again, it looks like PowerBook may get equally tame upgrade. If so, Tiger and iTunes for mobile phones may get most of the attentions.

James L

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2004
Toe said:
If https://buyersguide.macrumors.com// is any guide (and it does have a pretty good logic to it), then all of these products are due for an upgrade (or will be by MWSF):
  • Xserve
  • PowerBook
  • PowerMac
  • eMac
  • iPod
Only the iMac (hey MR! Update the photo!) and iBook won't be overdue by then... and the iMac will be getting pretty far along its lifecycle too.

This should be one heck of a show. If there's a phone too, and maybe some Tiger, well... a lot of Mac users might just die of product overload.

I wouldn't get your hopes up if I were you!!! There will be a bunch of tiger talk I am sure, a couple of new gadgets, some software upgrades probably, one or two hardware devices, etc.

Same ol' same old I would guess!

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
Duff-Man said:
Duff-Man says....and with the passing of Christmas we move straight into MacWorld silly season.....oh yeah!

I agree. Either Apple needs to pull back MacWorld to December or Christmas should be in late January or even better, Applemas or Macmas a day of giving for all Apple users, would be a national holiday held late January, allowing for product delivery.

Toe

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
zim said:
I agree. Either Apple needs to pull back MacWorld to December or Christmas should be in late January or even better, Applemas or Macmas a day of giving for all Apple users, would be a national holiday held late January, allowing for product delivery.
Yeah, but two days after Apple announced Macmas, Microsoft would come out with MS Holiday, which would be the entire month of August, and would entail mandatory licensing of at least five premium MS products.

Give your loved ones the gift of Exchange Server this MS Holiday.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
Not enough time in the day for all these product announcements

• Appleworks update
• Keynote 2
• iLife '05
• Tiger
• $499 headless G4 Mac
• iPhone
• Asteroid audio interface
• 5GB iPod mini
• Flash-based iPod micro
• Xserve update
• 3.0GHz PowerMac update
• G4/G5 PowerBook update
• eMac G5
• 80GB drive for iPod Photo

What is real?
How much of this stuff could you possibly cram into one Keynote? Maybe Steve has a Time Distortion Field to go with that RDF. :rolleyes:

I'm betting on:
• Keynote 2
• iLife '05
• 5GB iPod mini

one more thing:
• Flash-based iPod micro, 1GB for $149

one more "one more thing":
• $499 headless Mac

No matter what, it'll be quite a show.

Toe

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
powermac666 said:
• Appleworks update
• Keynote 2
• iLife '05
• Tiger
• $499 headless G4 Mac
• iPhone
• 5GB iPod mini
• Flash-based iPod micro
• Xserve update
• 3.0GHz PowerMac update
• G4/G5 PowerBook update
• eMac G5
• 80GB drive for iPod Photo

All of those seem plausible, so I would guess that the least likely among them would be the Xserve. If Steve is pressed for time anyway, why announce enterprise-class Iron at a consumer show? Perhaps they'll save the Xserve for a stand-alone release event. I don't think it'll be rerady next month anyway.

Also, perhaps the headless iMac is the same thing as the new eMac...?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.