New Explorer hole could be devastating

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by iGav, Jan 28, 2004.

1. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
  2. mactastic macrumors 68040

Apr 24, 2003
    Egads! Ok, so what's a good windows browser? I just got my Wintel box at work yesterday, and since I use Safari a lot, I would like another browser with built in pop-up blocker, and tabbed browsing. Oh and one that doesn't have massive security holes just waiting to be exploited.
  3. Pseudonym macrumors regular

Jan 21, 2004
    Old Blighty
    I know everyone bashes MS, but these holes are building up momentum. How long before it is not economically viable to run a Windows network with all the IT time needed?

Wouldn't be ironic if the Megacorp to end all megacorps was bought down by individual virus writers.
  4. Mr. G4 macrumors 6502

Mr. G4

Mar 29, 2002
    Rohnert Park, CA
    Did you try Mozilla?
    Same engine as Safari and has built in pop up ad blocker.

5. TEG macrumors 604

Jan 21, 2002
    Langley, Washington
    Mozilla uses Gecko
    Safari uses KHTML

I'd suggest Mozilla 1.6 or Mozilla Firebird for Web Browsing

Mozilla Thunderbird is also a great alternative to Outlook Express, and so is Eudora Mail.

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    wow, that's bad - and it always makes me chuckle a little about this type of news. Now if someone needs an idea on how to make problems, they've already written out how to do it. :rolleyes:

But going to a site to buy something, giving all your info on the purchase, having it deducted from the card - and never receiving it.... all because you were looking at something that really wasn't real....that's even more scary.

7. pinto32 macrumors 6502

Oct 19, 2003
    Wow..and here I thought the only reason (besides that it was written by demons) to hate MS exploror was that it was slow, clunky, outdated, user-un-friendly, and ugly as hell! This really sounds serious, especially when this is what 90% of windows users use!

On my XP machine, I am a big fan of Netscape 7.1. Its a great browser: nothin but a fast, user-friendly, tab-enabled, pop-up blocking piece of eye-candy. (its based on the now defunct Mozilla project, and is a vast improvement over Netscape 6)
  8. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    That's scary!!

To me it doesn't matter that I have a Mac, this could really suck BIGTIME for alot of people. I mean, for the most part the MS viruses have really effected businesses by hogging bandwidth, something that the everyday user might not notice. But this... this can get and demolish anyone (at least as long as they are using Windows). Ouch! I want to here Gates say that line about Windows being more secure than Mac again.

Does this have an effect on IE for Mac OS X? (not like anyone actually uses it anymore)
  9. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    i can't even pretend to be surprised anymore. but i doubt this will really tarnish MS's reputation, people don't have any basis of comparison (these people are idiots and don't understand Mac or Linux) and so they've come to expect this level of insecurity and inconvenience.

10. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

Oct 23, 2002
    Sounds to me like the makings of a great series of commercials for Macs.

"Switch, and you won't have to worry about crap like this!"

MS is a joke.:rolleyes:
  11. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    That's one of my favorite things to say when people bash Macs. "How many virus updates today? This week? This month?"
  12. beg_ne macrumors 6502

Jul 3, 2003
    No no! You have it backwards, Mozilla is still very much alive, AOL however killed NS. When that happened Mozilla split off into it's own independant foundation.

So we won't be seeing any more new version of Netscape, but will and are still getting new version of Mozilla.

As to the thread starters question, I would definitely go with Mozilla Firebird for web and Mozilla Thunderbird for email. You get the great mozilla rendering engine without all the bloat of the Mozilla Suite.
  13. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

Jul 11, 2003
    NYC, or thereabouts
    Not so much an IE thing, as a Windows thing?

Interesting -- in the article, the author references another article about the URL spoofing issue that includes a link to an URL-spoofing example site.

At work (on a PC) this example "worked" (spoofing But on my Mac, the URL spoof failed -- even on IE. (Specifically, both on IE and Safari the URL showed the %01 and all after, unlike the Windows IE system.)

If that was platform dependent, I would be curious to know if the download-format spoof works on Mac at all.

Until there's a test page, however, we won't know. If anyone has familiarity with CLSID manipulation, maybe someone could put up a test page -- "Download this file. It'll look like a .pdf, but it's actually a copy of Acrobat Reader".
  14. mms macrumors 6502a

Oct 8, 2003
    I'm sure Firebird would be an excellent choice. I've also heard that Opera for Windows was pretty good too, though I've never tried it myself. Opera for Mac sucks big time but I've heard good things about the Windows version. Anyone here tried it?
  15. MrMacMan macrumors 604

Jul 4, 2001
    1 Block away from NYC.
    So if you add all of the holes together... you could create the worlds best bug.

Using a spoof site...

And the one with the weird % symbols in it...

And this...

All together you could make the best worm ever known.

Good luck Microsoft!

Challange of the decade.
  16. pinto32 macrumors 6502

Oct 19, 2003
    I thought I heard something about Mozilla losing thier funding.......but hey, thats great! So much great stuff has come out of this project, I don't wanna see it go away!

But really, no new versions of Netscape????? This just doesnt seem right!

Now that I think of it, I think I read about it in the NY Times or something like that, and accuracy from the mainstream isnt what it should be on tech topics.....