new external hard Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by UnitedRed, Jul 29, 2006.

1. UnitedRed macrumors member

Jan 30, 2006
    I have recently purchased a new Hard Drive to go with my current one in the mac. (Its the Iomega - Firewire 800/Firewire 400 model, 300GB) I have a few questions...

1. Do I need to do anything to it when I install it or just follow the onscreen instructions from the cds? I've heard something about having to format the drive, or is that from using the cds

2. And I take it if I wanted to move the things I currently have on the mac's HD then I just drag and drop them in right?

3. Also am I right in thinking nothing will be wiped away once I put this in, all my documents etc will still be there?

4. Should I set up the Restore point thing incase the system goes down

5. Are all the cables they give in the box basically all the same just depending on which one you use to connect it to the mac

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    1. Actually you don't even have to install anything from the Discs, just plug it in and it should show up on your desktop.

2. to put things on the drive just drag and drop, create new folders if you want, and just keep it organized.

3. your documents and everything you put on the drive will be 'copied' not moved so they will exist on both drives until you trash it from one or the other, i think this is what you're asking?

4. you can set it to do backups of your drive, but i don't know what software comes with this dive and there are many, many different ways you can configure backup solutions.

5. you will have two different cables. one for FW400 and one for FW800, if you computer has FW800 - i don't know if any of the iMacs had FW800 to be honest, use that, if not just use the FW400 (its more common by far).