New Extreme Basestation?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Zim Bargo, Oct 28, 2004.

1. Zim Bargo macrumors member

Was just looking at the John Lewis site to buy a basestation Extreme with modem - their price is now £119 reduced from £159. Price is still £149 through Applestore though

Anyone know if Apple are planning to bring out a new one in the near future, hence the price drop?

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

That would make sense, although I have seen no mention of it. Perhaps the sales are just way, way down since the AirPort Express started shipping....

3. Gee macrumors 65816

And interestingly, the Extreme basestation without modem is down to £99 in John Lewis, but is
    no longer listed on the Apple UK Store (unless I'm going mad). Intriguing...

4. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

isn't the one w/out modem just a larger, more expensive airport express?

5. iceTrX macrumors regular

A larger, more expensive airport express without the express part and no AirTunes :-D

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

the extreme without the modem was discontinued when airport express was introduced, if i recall correctly

7. Gee macrumors 65816

Oh, I didn't realise that. It did have one thing going for it over the airport express and that was the fixed ethernet port. If you want to hardwire a peripheral (such as a playstation) into an express, you need two!

8. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

er isnt wireless the point of airport?! if you use a seperate basestation you can hard wire the express to yoru playstation or whatever.

9. Gee macrumors 65816

What I mean was, if I have only an express, my wireless laptop can get online, but my playstation cannot....

Whereas if I have only an extreme, my wireless laptop can get online wirelessly AND I can plug the playstation into the the back of the extreme and connect also.

10. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

You can always buy a wireless bridge so your PS2 can still get on the net. That negates the cost savings of the Express over the Extreme, of course; but you've still got AirTunes. :D