New fake iPod Nanos

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Clive At Five, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Clive At Five macrumors 65816

Clive At Five

There are new fake iPod nanos out there... check it out. (Remember last time?)

Comparing it to the previous counterfeits, it seems very similar, specifically the "click wheel" (if that's even what it is), the screen is still wrong... and apparently those things play video on the tiny, tiny "iPod Nano" screen. It would be wild if someone could find one of those things and dissect it, just for the comparison of it.

I'm also VERY curious about the UI.

-Clive

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I read an article somewhere that the new counterfeits are so real that people are mistaking them for the genuine article and then when they see the 'real thing' they thing that the real one is fake.

3. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

Wow, thats a pretty good fake! Obviously to people who know what these things really look like, you can tell they're fake, but to the average consumer know has just seen a commercial here and there, they probably wouldn't notice it at first.

4. KipCoon macrumors regular

KipCoon

Can't apple go after them for the copyright use of their information on it, at the very least?

Assumign they did what the older clone did, with the info on the back side.

5. cecildk9999 macrumors regular

cecildk9999

Unfortunately, it's just like any bootleg market; easy to find the products, hard to catch the perpetrators (especially in other countries!). My uncle brought me back a 'genuine' Rolex watch from China some years back; he haggled the guy down to $10 from $300. I think it lasted about 3 months before it busted. :(

6. Clive At Five thread starter macrumors 65816

Clive At Five

Technically yes, and I'm sure they would... but as is usually the case with counterfeiters/bootleggers/the like, their operations and manufacturing locations are secret & hidden. So no one really knows where these things come from.

What Apple can do is send cease and desist letters to retailers for selling an unauthorized & counterfeit product (as they did last time). I have no doubt that this will happen again. Still, there will inevitably be some revenue made on these fakes before they are quenched.

-Clive

Oops, you beat me to it, Cecil

7. zim macrumors 65816

zim

wow.. also, i was just thinking how the revised verizon candy bar phones/mp3 players were starting to look a bit nanoish too, now that they come in the same exact colors!

8. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

They have counterfit nanos at a kiosk in one of the malls here. I can't remember what they were calling them, but it was a dumb name. On the advertising signs, they directly compared them to the iPod nano (by name) even though it was clear to me that they were junk. My dad was fooled though, and thought that they really were a new, legitimate competitor to the iPod that was probably superior. It kind of surprised me that he didn't realize that they were cheap knockoffs, because it was very obvious to me. Anyway, I'd love for Apple to shut them down...

9. backsidetailsli macrumors 65816

backsidetailsli

10. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Who else would prefer one of these to a Zune?

11. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

I'm wouldn't. (wow can't believe i just wrote that... well im sure they'll be great when somebody hacks it to work with itunes :rolleyes: )

12. lozanoj83 macrumors 6502a

lozanoj83

I wouldnt, even tough im completely against the Zune, id rather support a real product made by a real company.. than support a fraud company that just steals money from people who are tech illiterate..
    yes i cant believe i just wrote that either..

13. blueflame macrumors 6502a

blueflame

id take teh zune

knock offs sck, as a previous poster said, they are just ripping people off who dont know any better.
    as a second thought, maybe they deserve it..... na, they are A**holes, i hate people getting ripped off.

14. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

The markings are probably being printed locally to skirt around that problem. AFAIK these clones are all being made by a handful of factories in Shenzhen (amusingly, the same city where the real thing is made). They're sold in bulk and the buyers pack them up and resell under a variety of brand names.