New family of frogs found in India

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Juventuz, Oct 16, 2003.

1. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That is a very interesting find. _“You could say it is a living fossil,” said Bossuyt. Now we can have a new saying, "It fun being purple."

2. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Evolutionary advantage to being purple?

This new purple frog is really wierd. It almost looks like it has a neck (which is something frogs don't usually have)! I wonder though how it evolved to being purple with an elevated head and snout... paging Mr. Darwin!

p.s. The article mentions that it's doughnut shaped, I don't see the hole... maybe it's a jelly eh? BTW The proper name for a 'doughnut shape' is a torus (<-ok I know that's probably spelled wrong but it sounds like Taurus)

p.p.s I'm glad they didn't call it a toad... you just know some stoner was booking a flight to India to see if you get high by licking it. :D

3. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

You spelled torus correctly, and I think that most of a frog's predators are going to be color-blind, making purple as good as green as long as they look the same when you photocopy the frog and the leaf together, I suppose. (Man, would the IT people here be ticked if I did THAT experiment at work!)

4. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

There must be a reason for the purple and the donut shape. Whatever it's protection system is, it works very well.

5. HasanDaddy macrumors 6502a

I wish I could buy a sports franchise right now, and name it after that funny looking frog

6. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

What ever the name, it's better than naming your team "The Mighty Ducks"....

Raid

7. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

my prediction is that they will go in and find a small contained area full of these frogs, where they can live in peace with the ecosystem, and then we'll realize how much exotic hardwood is there, and we'll deforest it. then they can put in a minimall. and who needs rare, beautiful and scientifically valuable frogs when you have a minimall?

pnw

8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Here's another article, from the BBC, and another photo:

[​IMG]

Can I have one? Pleeeeeeeeeeeeease, mom?

9. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Nice picture and link Doctor Q. Thanks for the picture and link. He has a great name, Nasikabatrachus. Think that I like his shorter name, we could call him nasika.

10. jer2665 macrumors regular

South Windsor, CT ... This town is just one bi
    super, now come on scientists, lets cut it's little head off, and find out how he lived so long, and all we can about it while they're still alive.:eek:

11. Dros macrumors 6502

My guess is that the skin has some nasty tasting or toxic stuff, and so the frog makes itself distinctively colored to warn predators.