Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

overview_hero20110811-500x156.png

9to5Mac believes that the new MacBook Pros will be launching next week.
With supplies only becoming more constrained, and with shipments already touching down in select countries, we think a launch next week is likely (between Tuesday and Thursday). That is, of course, if there are no unforeseen circumstances.
The new machines are said to stay at the exact same prices as current MacBook Pro models. Word of possible new MacBook Pros in late 2011 was first reported back in September. At the time, it was believed that the new MacBook Pros would take advantage of new Sandy Bridge processors released by Intel late this year. Based on the part numbers, the new machines are expected to be only a minor update.

The newly released processors from Intel include Quad Core i7 processors with speeds of 2.4GHz, 2.5GHz and 2.7GHz, as well as a Dual Core i7 at 2.8GHz models. Here's the list of new mobile CPUs adapted from CPU World:

intel-list.png

Given the heat constraints of the MacBook Pro design, Apple will be unable to use the 2.7GHz Quad Core (Core i7-2960XM) in their notebooks. Apple also won't use the mobile Celeron listed at the end. The top 3 listed, however, remain candidates for upgrades in the new MacBook Pros.

Article Link: New Faster Sandy Bridge MacBook Pros Next Week?

BradClarke

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2008
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

9to5Mac believes that the new MacBook Pros will be launching next week.Word of possible new MacBook Pros in late 2011 was first reported back in September. At the time, it was believed that the new MacBook Pros would take advantage of new Sandy Bridge processors released by Intel late this year. Based on the part numbers, the new machines are expected to be only a minor update.

The newly released processors from Intel include Quad Core i7 processors with speeds of 2.4GHz, 2.5GHz and 2.7GHz, as well as a Dual Core i7 at 2.8GHz models.

Article Link: New MacBook Pros Next Week?

Figure just bought a new one, should be nice though, and is more than welcomed!

slrandall

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2011
Speed bump to carry them through the holidays, followed by [what was earlier reported] a re-design to a thinner profile with Ivy Bridge?

_Matt

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2005
Is it weird that I get excited about new MacBook Pros even if I have no intention of buying them?

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
I wouldn't expect a redesign yet, but once they do I may go back from my MacBook air.

TechNovice

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2009
It's just one new thing after another - and yes, I feel the anticipation too, even though I'm not in the market for a new computer either.

deviljin102

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2011
Hm, I guess this is great timing then.

Since I was planning on buying a refurb mbp next month, if it's worth it, I'll just get the refreshed version :)

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Is it weird that I get excited about new MacBook Pros even if I have no intention of buying them?
New hardware is always exciting. I just wish that it was something more than what could easily be acquired by paying attention to press releases/roadmaps from component hardware manufacturers e.g., Intel

cbt

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2009
At the time, it was believed that the new MacBook Pros would take advantage of new Sandy Bridge processors released by Intel late this year.

Was that supposed to be Ivy Bridge? (that MacRumors also just reported was going into volume production).

One can wish.

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan
How come they don't include those Apple stickers anymore? What's up with that? There used to be a time when Apple's entire marketing effort was those stickers.

smartalic34

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
How come they don't include those Apple stickers anymore? What's up with that? There used to be a time when Apple's entire marketing effort was those stickers.

If I remember correctly, my MBP purchased this past June did come with two Apple stickers...

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I'd love it. My wish list is a .75" unibody with a 1200p screen (15"), loose the ODD and make the battery out of this world, plus Ivy Bridge and a 6970m.

My body is ready

Yeah, I'm wondering about the Air <> Pro convergence, in terms of features, displays, chassis design. The rumor of a 15" "air like" product is very interesting. I wonder if the Pro line will shrink to not quite the air thickness, and retain slots for more RAM (user upgradable) - and I'm assuming lose the optical drive like just about everything else in the Apple product line. Maybe the Pro line will also get a new, substantially higher display resolution options[?]

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.