Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benpatient

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 4, 2003
So I think I just noticed a new feature in 10.3.7.

It's related to the volume on-screen display, and the audible indicator that goes along with it. I used to get frustrated that when I turned down the volume in Panther, the little "click/blip" sound would happen for every volume notch that I lowered the volume, with the "indicator" sound getting progressively quieter as I turned it down. Well, the thing is, if the volume is up pretty high, then that sound is VERY annoying when you're looking for it to be quieter...If i want to turn down my music, but don't want to reach for the speaker volume, i should be able to push the volume down button on my keyboard, and that's it.

well, that sound always bugged me. I just noticed, though, that if i turn down the volume fast enough, it doesn't make any sound...

well crap...i just did some more testing, and i think it's random...sometimes the sound just doesn't play...oh well...not a cool new feature...just a bug that is better than the intended effect.

*sigh*

nevermind.

Arnel

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
Vancouver, BC
Erm... in System Preferences go to the Sound pane, and then select the Sound Effects tab and untick "Play feedback when volume keys are pressed". Hey presto, no sound on the volume keys any more :)

Neil
a.k.a. Arnel

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
munkle said:
If I press and hold the volume button, there is only one 'click'.

yes pressing and holding the volume keys makes only one click where you stop the little meter, same goes for raising the volume as well

abhishekit

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
akron , ohio
munkle said:
Ok folks, got it! Tip of the day: hold the shift button whilst pressing your volume buttons and voilá no click!
sweet...
and I noticed that option+volume button opens up sound preferences.

jimjiminyjim

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2003
Canada
Tip of the day

Here's the extended version of "tip of the day:"

Holding the shift key while using the volume controls will either silence the click sound if "play feedback..." is selected or give feedback if "play feedback" is not selected. This setting can be changed under sound:sound effects. You can also change the type of sound in this setting, however it will apply to all warnings, not just the volume feedback.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
BTW, I haven't gotten around to installing 10.3.7 yet, I'm still on 10.3.6, but all of this works verbatim in 10.3.6. Too bad too, I was all geeked to find something new. But I will update soon anyway, I just haven't had call to reboot my machine recently (God, I love being on a Mac! :D).

JeDiBoYTJ

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2004
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
about it turning down and only hearing one click, thats not true, at least on my machine. if I hold down the key, I hear one loud click, then when it gets half way I hear another, and then one more right before it goes away

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.