Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
The 3GS was a great phone, I had one and really enjoyed it, but its time has passed and at the price it's available at you can't reasonably expect it to have all of the latest features.

If Apple continued developing iOS so that the 3GS was able to use all of the features it would severely limit the ability of the software to take advantage of the more powerful new iPhones.

I don't think there are legitimate complaints to be made about the 3GS not being able to utilize the new features, it's an old phone with old hardware that is available for free with a contract. The 3GS receives far more attention from Apple than old Android phones do from Google or the phone manufacturer who made it.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
When people talk of Android and fragmentation this come to mind to me:

"Android Temple Run: 99.9% of support emails are complaining their device isn't supported. We currently support 707 devices."

Speaks to the quality of the app itself that people would not have any other issues with it, and that they crave it for their device. ;)

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
The 3GS was a great phone, I had one and really enjoyed it, but its time has passed and at the price it's available at you can't reasonably expect it to have all of the latest features.

If Apple continued developing iOS so that the 3GS was able to use all of the features it would severely limit the ability of the software to take advantage of the more powerful new iPhones.

I don't think there are legitimate complaints to be made about the 3GS not being able to utilize the new features, it's an old phone with old hardware that is available for free with a contract. The 3GS receives far more attention from Apple than old Android phones do from Google or the phone manufacturer who made it.

That is nice and all, but please explain the Ipad2 which is barely a year old.

SpectatorHere

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2010
Apple has 100 billion cash on hand and they're trying to force their existing userbase to pony up more money and force people to upgrade--classy move.

If Jobs were around my guess is that he'd say something to the effect of, "Give our customers the best experience we can." Instead, they're gimping their old models--intentionally making sure old models don't get their best possible product.

It's a shame, but just as the one poster pointed out with the allusion to Microsoft's licensing labels of home, premium, etc. ....they're becoming just like every other mega-corp.

I think this, along with the whole Siri marketing/gimping of the iPhone 4, shows you Tim Cook lacks the long range, big picture, outlook Jobs was so good at nailing.

TheRdungeon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2011
That's actually the only one that does make sense. Those 3D maps look processor-intensive and the 4S has an entirely new processor generation over the 4.

The rest are clearly a money-grab, but the maps thing is probably legit.

Yeah true, however the tomtom app used to run flawlessly on my 3G, which is two generations older than the 4. Seeing as this is based on TomTom tech it's kind of a stretch to say it's not possible to run on a 4 imo. But yeah I can see why they want to chuck these features on the 4S, as it didn't launch with a whole lot more than the 4 other than Siri

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i think some people are misinterpreting what fragmentation is. only 7% of android phones are running a month's old operating system. while some of apple's previous phones might not have all the 'wow features' they will still be able to run the latest OS, which means the latest APIs etc that are the most important for developers. just saying...

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
Apple has 100 billion cash on hand and they're trying to force their existing userbase to pony up more money and force people to upgrade--classy move.

If Jobs were around my guess is that he'd say something to the effect of, "Give our customers the best experience we can." Instead, they're gimping their old models--intentionally making sure old models don't get their best possible product.

It's a shame, but just as the one poster pointed out with the allusion to Microsoft's licensing labels of home, premium, etc. ....they're becoming just like every other mega-corp.

I think this, along with the whole Siri marketing/gimping of the iPhone 4, shows you Tim Cook lacks the long range, big picture, outlook Jobs was so good at nailing.

You fanboys need to let Jobs rest in peace. If the goal was to "Give our customers the best experience we can", isn't including those half-hearted device updates to iOS6 accomplishing that? At least those folks are getting something new instead of the alternative - getting nothing at all.

/Insert fragmentation harhar as well.

warfed

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2011

Jobs was still around when Siri was developed and launched...

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
Antennagate XD

What prevents you to use Skype?

Haha, nothing. I don't even use Facetime because not everyone I know has an iOS device. But for the iPhone 4 owners who do use FaceTime this is poor. I was being quite flippant with my previous comment and there could be another reason for this decision but it just seems so peculiar, and if they really did think "aha, let's not allow it on the iPhone 4 so people will upgrade!" then I worry for Apple as they seem to be making some odd decisions recently. They should really be encouraging use of FaceTime.

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003

What a mess.

Huh, your chart compares Apple HARDWARE with Android Software. It's wrong too. I can use Skype to make 3G calls on my iPhone 4. And I can find solutions to pretty other things in that chart.

But all you Apple-haters are missing the point about fragmentation. The chart in the article is about end user features built into the OS. It has nothing to do with developer APIs. Fragmentation on Android is a problem for developers. There are too many phones out there, that they can't hope to support or even look at supporting them all. Just look at Temple Run's Facebook page when they released it. They support 700 different Android phones, but yet their page is full of complaints about phones not being supported. Developing for iOS is a dream in comparison - only a few models to support and most APIs are supported on all devices that runs the OS.

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
i think some people are misinterpreting what fragmentation is. only 7% of android phones are running a month's old operating system. while some of apple's previous phones might not have all the 'wow features' they will still be able to run the latest OS, which means the latest APIs etc that are the most important for developers. just saying...

So now fragmentation gets redefined since Apple is now engaging in it. Spin, spin, spin.

digitalhen

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
Really it's unfortunate about the turn by turn and FaceTime for the iPhone 4 but they still need to differentiate the phone because let's face it it's practically the same damn 2 year old phone for $199+ (iPhone 4s)

So it's purely marketing/sales

That said iPhone 4 users - our resale will certainly take a hit :(

It really is just a profiteering exercise. Facetime over 3G works perfectly on the iPhone 4 with a j/b. Apple, it might be our last tango.

iStig

macrumors member
May 20, 2010
I must be missing where Apple is removing functionality from your device. Could someone tell me please what features that were on your phone when you bought it that Apple is taking away with iOS6? If you want new features and added functionality, surprise surprise, sometimes you gotta pay for it. Sorry if this comes as a shock to any of you but it's probably best you learn how the world works sooner or later.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006

Problem is people spit out that fact have ZERO and I repeat ZERO understanding of it.
On Android it is not as critical for the most current OS. It is set target API and go. You will be hard press to get a list of usable add on going from Gingerbread to ICS. Vast majority of App need nothing more than the API level of Gingerbread or even 2.2 Gingerbread handles SQL lite cursors better than 2.2 but that is pretty deep down stuff.

Apple 3GS and above will be on the same OS in name Only but really you have no clue how your app will run on iOS6 across multiple devices. Android you set some things and you know if it is 2.3 everything 2.3 and up will run. No risk.

Either way the fact that you spit out on ICS is not worth as much. Apple does force and obsolete. iPhone 4 owners got screwed.

Soulweaponry

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2010
People that have actually tested iOS 6 on older devices: apple

People that haven't and have an opinion about exactly how well it works without having any actual experience with it: **** ton

Who here has a 3gs with ios6 on it that they can test? And develop for it? Any bugs? How well is the system working? Crashing? Is maps and flyover laggy? A couple things i question (without having tried it though) but others it seems like everyone is upset that a certain thing isn't coming to their phone without any consideration for how well it would actually work on the hardware.

Fragmentation in this case is whether i can still download apps. Since 3gs and on i'd have iOS 6, i can still download anything i want from the app store. Fragmentation on my android meant i had a brand new htc rezound and couldn't download a bunch of apps because my phone wasn't on the "compatibility list".

SixeL

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2011
ouch.

my heart broke as an iPhone 4 and iPad 2 owner.
:mad:

Apple.. wouldn't it be nice to have MORE people use apple products?
Older iPhones -> Resale markets -> More people use iPhone 3GS and beyond...

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006

Come on this type of move is a Steve Jobs move. Come on you care to explain to me why the orginal iPhone never got MMS, or voice control block out on the 3G. Siri block on the iPhone 4 and 3GS. Sorry but this type of crap started under Steve Job. This is 100% a Steve Jobs like move. Like it or not Steve Jobs was a very greedy man.

SpectatorHere

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2010

So why would the iPad 1st gen not get any support if they're giving some support to the 3GS. That proves these aren't hardware-based decisions.

Apple is not putting out the best they have to offer so that more existing users upgrade.

And, yes, it is just like every other big crappy GigantoCorp. If you buy a Samsung you're lucky if the software is ever really up to snuff and after a year you won't get updates.

....But that's why people are not happy. Apple has not always been like this. And it seems symptomatic of the short-sighted greediness so many companies have.

28monkeys

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2008
Bangkok, Thailand
Because the android version of this chart would have over 2000 devices?

arn

So an Android is Hugh Hefner with over 2000 kids, and he overlooks all of them with dairy products.

Whereas, Apple fathered 5 small kids (soon a 6th) and 3 fat kids, but he chose to make most of them bastards.

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
I must be missing where Apple is removing functionality from your device. Could someone tell me please what features that were on your phone when you bought it that Apple is taking away with iOS6? If you want new features and added functionality, surprise surprise, sometimes you gotta pay for it. Sorry if this comes as a shock to any of you but it's probably best you learn how the world works sooner or later.

Oh please shut up. This was what people said when iPad 1 got denied multitouch gestures initially in iOS 5, because it never was officially available in 4. (but could be activated through Xcode)

The fact of the matter is it's being artificially left out from a device perfectly capable of handling it. Since iPhone 4's launch, Apple always insisted FaceTime was wifi-only "for now". And it was the flagship phone that INTRODUCED FaceTime for pete's sake!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.