New features in OS X 10.5 Leopard you may not have heard abo...

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Aug 22, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 68000

dsharits

Pretty much simple little things that could turn out to make things more convenient. Apple's done a great job with the miniscule improvements that could change the way you use your computer, I'd expect most of these to be very handy.

3. macrumors 6502a

truz

I can't wait for the release. I think time machine is a great idea. It's such a pain in the ass when you edit your clients websites or start working on new projects and require a backup of whatever your working on.

this time machine is going to make backups great!

If only something like this was setup for web hosting...

4. macrumors 603

Stella

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple have disabled some of the 'secret' features for these developers builds... and enable them until nearer release time.

Apple know damn well that information will get out...

5. macrumors 6502a

Superdrive

The new pictures screensaver looks like it could be one of those little things that your Windows friends see and say "How can I get my computer to do that?". I am a big fan of eye candy and interface improvments.

6. macrumors 6502

impierced

I'm very doubtful of that - too easy to find them even if they are disabled.

There will be many new features included with Leapord, but they are not in the developer builds.

*cough*new finder*cough*

7. macrumors 68000

RichP

I tend to agree, perhaps we may see some new features in January at Macworld.

We havent seen:

-A finder update

-Bootcamp? This thing isnt going to be beta forever. I want to see fastOS switching.

8. macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

Slightly off-topic...

Because revamped Finder preferences and a brand new Finder are not mutually exclusive? And because a new Finder has little to do with a developer preview? This preview is only there to highlight some of the core technologies that will be present to devs in Leopard. This is part of the problem with it being leaked to torrents; now everyone and their grandmother is looking for features and, with a lacking thereof, posting their "findings" to their websites. I'm liking the screenshots that this site gave out, though.

I know this isn't the thread for this, but it came up so I just wanted to acknowledge it.

I can't see "Fast OS switching" as a feasibility at this point. Phil Schiller, while no doubt using PR fluff, stated that Apple's committed solution is "dual boot." Now it's certainly possible that they could revamp the experience to retain your session ala hibernation for when you come back to Mac OS X, but I don't see them going out of their way to make Windows a pleasant experience.

It only benefits Apple to make Windows look as though it's "bolted on," and leave the real work -- for PR reasons and developer mindshare reasons -- to third parties such as Parallels and VMWare. For proof on this, look at the heightened use of platform evangelism at this year's WWDC and the Mac vs. PC ads.

Just imagine the reaction at WWDC, with the audience being Macintosh devs, Steve would have received if he said "Red Box? It's true! Yellow Box is still dead, however... So Windows apps will run on OS X, but not vice versa." That's not to say they're not working it as a contingency plan, though. It's not unreasonable to believe that Red Box (or even some sort of virtualization aka "Fast OS Switching") exists, while Yellow Box is still being maintained somewhere in Cupertino. That doesn't necessarily translate to the technologies being released, though.

9. macrumors regular

coolest little stuff

Some of the stuff I really like that I don't see at this site:

1. The new Safari search within a page feature. It completely eliminates the "it found something but I can't tell what's highlighted" syndrome. Instead of simply highlighting the target text, it also dims all the non-matched text in the window. The currently found text is also "zoomed" in an orange rectangle. Completely cool.

2. The new help function opens menus and puts a big purple arrow next to them so even a nearly blind person can see where the option is located.

3. Spaces isn't just a 2x2 grid, it can by any size up to 4x4. And its completely multiple monitor aware.

10. Moderator emeritus

I'm glad to see that the open/save dialogs are finally being enhanced. If they provide a way to rename and/or delete items, it'll be appreciated.

The eject all button is nice for those enhanced CDs though I've finally gotten to the point where I use the eject key.

You are creating your websites on your machine and uploading them, aren't you?

11. macrumors 6502a

Oryan

This is by far my most favorite new feature. Although I see myself using Time Machine a lot too.

12. macrumors 68020

sunfast

Whilst none of those features are startling, I do like to see lots of minor improvements too - gives a sense of ongoing refinement to an already decent product.

One question - is that "Battery Health: Poor" thing a new feature? A good one if so, but then is it there to persuade people to click the "Get new battery option"?

I'm sure I'll buy Leopard so I hope it continues to show new stuff :)

13. macrumors member

ipearx

Yes it is new - currently I use http://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutbattery/

14. macrumors 603

whooleytoo

It's a very useful one, but what I was really hoping would be addressed are those incredibly annoying "The volume cannot be ejected because it is in use" alerts, which offer no help in discovering what's keeping the volume busy.

2 features I really wanted to see were a (GUI) utility to determine what processes are keeping what files in use (useful in the above case) and what files each process is using; and a utility somewhat like Little Snitch so the user can monitor, log and search all network connections.

15. macrumors 68020

sunfast

It'd be cool if all of the little things you need 3rd party tweaks to do were incorporated in Leopard. I know they won't be but I'd like that.

Stuff like clear dock, onyx etc

16. Moderator emeritus

You can already monitor what files a process is using from Activity Monitor. Select a process and click inspect. Then, click the Open files and Ports tab.

Attached Files:

17. macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

Glad they have been working on the save dialog box, its a bit underpowered at this point :eek:

18. macrumors 6502

Still no global options for "list view/columns/icons" in the Finder prefs? That would rock. I would love to always see everything in list view.

19. macrumors regular

Sorting in the Finder!! FINALLY!! :D

20. macrumors member

21. macrumors 6502a

All these features look really simple, but I like 'em. They will be helpful in the long run. :)

22. Moderator emeritus

When were the enhanced navigation services added, Mac OS 8.5? Windows 95 still has more powerful open/save dialog boxes than Tiger.

It's as if they're finally to the point where they can sharpen the blade of the sword.

Soon, we'll be able to sort Finder windows from a contextual menu item, just like Mac OS 9.

23. macrumors member

24. macrumors 601

mjstew33

:eek:

Mine works fine... :eek:

Attached Files:

25. macrumors member