Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wwcurl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2016
all of my folders now are filled with all my desktop items, whenI make a new folder, it to fill su with all of the items on my desktop. When I put a folder n the trash, it only displays what was originally in there. I have run Sophus and disk utility, but didn't help

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Yes, if you make a folder on the desktop, then drag everything on your desktop to that new folder, when you put it in the trash, not everything will go in the trash. There's a few special icons - usually for external storage, and for other partitions on your hard drive, that can be moved to a folder, but won't go in the trash. That's part of how the desktop works.

Question: Why do you need to put ALL items on your desktop into a new folder?
They are already in the special folder in your user folder, named Desktop.
Are you naming a new folder "Desktop" for some reason?
That is a reserved name, so be sure to name it something else. Even "All my desktop stuff" would be a better name.

You CAN go to your Finder Preferences (under the Finder menu), and make changes to what kind of devices will show on the desktop. That can help you avoid confusion when you try to get rid of clutter on the desktop in the future.

wwcurl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2016
Yes, if you make a folder on the desktop, then drag everything on your desktop to that new folder, when you put it in the trash, not everything will go in the trash. There's a few special icons - usually for external storage, and for other partitions on your hard drive, that can be moved to a folder, but won't go in the trash. That's part of how the desktop works.

Question: Why do you need to put ALL items on your desktop into a new folder?
They are already in the special folder in your user folder, named Desktop.
Are you naming a new folder "Desktop" for some reason?
That is a reserved name, so be sure to name it something else. Even "All my desktop stuff" would be a better name.

You CAN go to your Finder Preferences (under the Finder menu), and make changes to what kind of devices will show on the desktop. That can help you avoid confusion when you try to get rid of clutter on the desktop in the future.
[doublepost=1455315933][/doublepost]Sorry, I didn't make it very clear-
Without having done anything, each previous folder on my desktop has not only what I put I it, but also all of my desktop items as well. When I tried to start a new folder, it too would automatically fill up with desktop items. I can just leave the folder labeled as "new folder" and it does this. I'mthinking I will just reinstall my operating system and see if that takes care of it-any thoights? Thanks!

vexorg

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2009
What desktop items does it fill up with? OS X has no desktop items as default, only what you save or copy to the desktop.

wwcurl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2016
What desktop items does it fill up with? OS X has no desktop items as default, only what you save or copy to the desktop.
Thanks for the help. I reinstalled the OX operating system and that solved the problem-still not sure what I had done wrong, but do appreciate your all's input-

Reactions: 997440
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.