new folding scripts v4

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by mc68k, Jan 25, 2004.

1. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

just wanted to get something out there

got single and dual scripts at:

http://calnet.sdsu.edu/mc68k

the main difference is setup...not too much else

they work with both bash and csh/tcsh

it may be obvious...but if you have my previous scripts going...finish ur current WU, then use the rid command before updating

2. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    Simplifies the setup of Folding@home (F@H) on PowerMacs with 1 processor running Mac OS X. The script not only installs the current version of F@H, but also makes some commands for easier startup of the client and work unit progress checking. This script will not conflict with any work completed with the default setup of any version of the client. However, it will not do any of the following, regarding an already existing local copy of F@H:

it says powermacs but i assume this includes powerbooks right?

3. Selecter macrumors member

Thanks. Got the G5 cranking again.

Loaded up 2 Tinkers though. :confused:

edit: never mind. They're good for 70.90 points each !!!!! :eek:

4. mc68k thread starter macrumors 68000

mc68k

yes it will work with portable macs. i tend not to run any distributed client on laptops because of heat concerns, but that's just me-- it's totally fine.

5. jbg macrumors newbie

They are good for 71 points, but you will find that their speed on even the G5 is pale compared to the Gormacs.

If you use the "advanced optons" you can select gah (gormacs) only.

I haven't had a tinker since joining MacRumors and using the mc68 scripts, but it seems like the 71 pointers took well over a day to do, (maybe close to 2 days!) which puts you well below the 200 per day the dual G5 will do with Gormacs. I never timed one and would be curious to see what the per frame time is on the G5?

6. Selecter macrumors member

Heres a excerpt, Doing the p638_L939_K12_ext:

[18:55:58] Finished a frame (11)
    [19:05:29] Finished a frame (12)
    [19:15:07] Finished a frame (13)
    [19:24:34] Finished a frame (14)
    [19:33:40] Finished a frame (15)
    [19:42:49] Finished a frame (16)
    [19:52:46] Finished a frame (17)
    [20:02:21] Finished a frame (18)
    [20:11:40] Finished a frame (19)

So yeah, I was a bit too stoked, it gonna be awhile. I dunno, I think I'll cut it and go GROMAC. Basically your lookin at 10 minutes a frame on the Dual 1.8.

So, 10 minutes X 400 = 4000 minutes devided by 60 = 66.6 hours! AGGGHHHH! THE WU OF THE BEAST! :D

I dunno, maybe I'll just slice it off now.

7. jbg macrumors newbie

cut your losses

That's what I would do. I know tinkers are important too, but hell that's 360 points per week against about 1400 for gormacs!

8. jbeetz macrumors member

uhm... I may be wrong, but I think that if you choose the gah option, you get genome@home units as your preference, which are typically 18 points apiece.

If true, it's not a step in the right direction!

9. jbg macrumors newbie

They have some 18 pointers, and some 11.5's too. I trashed the folders on my DP800 and ran the script with the gah option, I got (2) 1025's, which are 51 pointers.

On my Dual G5, I just ran the script without deleting anything, it updated the client and it kept the original units which are a 917 and 851.

The 917 is 30 pointer that takes about 10 hours on the G5. The 920 is the best one I've found in the 900 series, 36 points in 7 hours, that's 5.1 pph, the 921 on the other hand is a total loser 23 points in 10 hours.

The 851 gives 35 points in 8.5 hours, about 4.1 pph, around average for most.

The 71 point tinker that takes 66 hours will get you about 1.1 points per hour, which is half of the slowest gromac I have encountered so far.

So yes you may get some small pointers, but they will most likely still yield more points per hour than any size tinker you may come across. http://forums.macrumors.com/newreply.php#

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You're right about the option. It's genome@home or folding@home. There's no Gromacs@home option. ;) In fact, there's no way to specify Tinker or Gromacs--it's what the servers need you to calculate.

The G5s do well at Tinker WUs since their floating point units are so great. :)

11. Selecter macrumors member

Yeah, I took a look around and there no way to spec gromacs only. -gah gets you genomes. ARG!

I tried the ol delete the Q and work folder trick and all I can get from the assignment servers is Tinkers.....I saw this elsewhere as well, so I'm not the only one.

Oh well. Maybe after I finish this long azz Tinker I'll be back on gromac trail. Gonna be 66+ hours!!!!!! :eek:

12. jbg macrumors newbie

Maybe what counts is selecting the "advanced methods", which will give you the latest (and sometimes beta) units, which seem to be pretty much gormacs. Anyway (knock on wood) I never get tinkers since selecting "advanced methods", and on occasion get units not listed, which I assume are beta?

I suppose putting in a F@H team number saved me from my blunder when I selected gah, since MacRumors is a F@H team? My PB1000 just finished a WU and received a 683 unit, even though I had mistakenly selected gah under advanced methods. The 683 is a 60 point gormac that will take the PB1000 about 42 hours, compared to the 66 hour 71 pointer on the 1.8 G5?

13. Selecter macrumors member

well, I've had -advmethods flag on from the start - they seem to just be going hog wild on assigning Tinkers from what I can tell. Maybe after I whip these out I'll start getting Gromacs.

14. jbg macrumors newbie

Lets hope so, they will really pull your production down. I'll let you know if I get any (tinkers) in the next few days, maybe selecting the gah does some strange thing with assigning units?

I might have to reset one of my slower machines with the fah and see what it gets?

By the way how is you "farm" coming along?

15. Selecter macrumors member

I havent seen the kind of stuff I'm after yet at the shows.

I'm going to be picking up a few more Macs during the year but due to cost there's no way I can build a mac based farm. Sometime the greater resale value of Macs works against you. They are still getting hundreds of dollars for Dual 450 Mhz G4's on ebay. I am going to get a few, probably 2 more to start, becuase I want to play around with X grid. So I'll get some more Macs going - I kinda hate not being able to use all Macs but unless your willing to drop 4 to 500 bucks a machine just for Folding it's not gonna happen.

Best bang for the buck probably is a combo of the 1.8 Duron with a cheap server board, the kind that has video on it already. Sometimes you see great deals on dual server boards in quantity on ebay, but I've been looking and none of those have popped up yet. I mean up to date stuff like the 1.6 Duron CPU and the MB for 50 bucks brand new - 8 of those and you got something.

I have seen that kind of deal in the past, but of course now that I'm into it, it's dried up. :mad:

I got more shows coming up soon. Hopefully something will pop.

PS the Athlon is down again :mad: The same fan I lubed up at work starting HOWLING again. I gotta get new fans for it. Back on when I do.

BTW we got 6 inches on the ground here, maybe a foot by morning - no work for me tomorrow! WOO HOO

16. jbg macrumors newbie

All in time.

As soon as you get past those tinkers, that Dual off yours will crank them out. Enjoy your day off, we rarely get snows like that around here, love to see a foot of the stuff.

17. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

18. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Is this program to be used instead of the one previously mentioned by Rower?

I have a dual 450, now newly running Panther.

19. mc68k thread starter macrumors 68000

mc68k

they are the same thing

glad to have u on board, wdlove :)

20. twiztidn8v macrumors member

21. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

The script is running fine over here.

Tho after I installed it my computer had MAJOR lag, I couldn't figure it out...

If you experience this restart... I think F@H was running the comp into the ground until I restarted...
    :rolleyes:

Also welcome wdlove.