New forum record

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Doctor Q, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

forums.macrumors.com, October 12, 2005:
    Most users ever online was 3367, Today at 09:27 AM (Pacific time).
    Today's "One more thing" media event produced a new record for number of people active at once in the forums.

The rumors about and announcements of a video iPod, FrontRow remote control, new iMacs, Photo Booth application, iTunes 6.0, and music videos and TV episodes in the iTunes store got plenty of attention both before and during the event.

2. Chimera macrumors 6502

Wow and the servers held up fine (most of the time)

3. efoto macrumors 68030

Not sure I would say....there was a rather lengthy period (20 minutes +) where I was getting "server is too busy" over and over again. A couple other users I IMed had similar situations.

Considering the load they probably did fine, but there were still some down moments.

4. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I was wondering when the old record was going to be broken - it had been around for quite sometime.....and we broke it by a considerable amount :D

D

6. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Wow, we trounced the old record. Of course if Apple keeps cranking out new sales like this the numbers will conintue to rise...

The forums are running pretty well today. Slow, but not too bad.

7. amacgenius macrumors 68000

amacgenius

8. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

And I was at school during all this...:(

Oh well. Go MacRumors...:D

9. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

It was the best I've seen it during a Steve speech-- I generally got through most of the time. Good job holding up under the load and thanks!

10. ipacmm macrumors 65816

ipacmm

11. fayans macrumors 6502a

fayans

WOW! I only realised today the popularity of this forum among the Mac community. You guys must have done a great job. Though the server were slightly busy due to overload.

12. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

The server struggled at first but then it was replaced by the best blue screen ever! No silly posts to kill the server, just the information we wanted.

13. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

:sobs quiety: I wanted to be a part of MacRumors history... but no, I had to be at my walking class. Eh, at least I was burning some calories so I won't develop scuzzle butt. :p

14. Chimera macrumors 6502

You're right the servers did go down, but before the main info about the announcements was released which i would expect to be the busiest time? I'm not sure why they were down before this.

15. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Overall, today went very well.

You have to remember there's a difference between survival and functionality. In the past, the servers would stay up, but we'd have to shut down the forums etc...

We kept the forums up throughout. There was a short period where I perhaps should have not directly linked to some attachements where there were a few server-busy messages.

Also the front page started getting saturated at some point. So we had to switch over to the low bandwidth version.

arn

16. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

Overall very well handled, I got only one or two server too busy messages. Well done MR and arn! :)

17. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

18. macEfan macrumors 65816

macEfan

Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    cool! R we the largest mac forums site around?

also, does MR have its own servers, or do U go through a hosting company?

19. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

i had the same experience with the server is too busy. but a little bit of time solved the problem.

congrats MacRumors. awesome. i hope i was a part of it this time around.

20. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I slept through the chaos. :eek:

But I did manage to visit MR at 9:27 so count me in as one of the statistics. :D

21. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

3367 is a solid "trouncing" over the old numbers. Just curious though; obviously it's directly related to an Apple announcement, but I wonder if the numbers reflect any ground swell, accumulated growth or trends in average MR visiting guests, over time. I'm sure the Mods are on top of the indicators. Congrats, M.R!

22. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I was in my favorite coffee shop today, at about 13:30 Eastern (1:30PM :p) to get lunch (huge chicken caesar salad *yum*) and a coffee (big, iced). Anyways, I just finish eating and CNN on the big screen TV starts giving info about the video iPod, which, judging by the time (14-3=11 pacific), I figure had already been unveiled. I was right that it had been, but CNN didn't know yet. They were going partly by AP/Reuters, and some other sources. They did a short segment on what it might look like, and what's in the top right corner? "Source: macrumors.com" I saw that, and thought "Oh, Arn's going to love that! :rolleyes:"
    So Arn, just how hammered did the server get at around 2PM Eastern? :D

23. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

24. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Traffic peaked at 1pm. Didn't notice much of a jump at 2pm.

here's the CNN pic