New found respect for Steve

Discussion in 'Community' started by Kid Red, Apr 18, 2003.

1. Kid Red macrumors 65816

Or his people. We all remember 'the year of the notebook'. Well IDC just released it's sales figures and guess what-

Wow, Apple hit right on the head. So the statement was not that Apple was only going to sell notebooks, but that this year was going to be a record setting year for ALL notebook computers in general.

Wow, Apple knows their ****.

2. GeneR macrumors 6502a

GeneR

Mobility is in.

I think that's where it's at. I think the entire computer industry has known for a while that they have a stagnant market and need to find a way to boost sales. Hence the tablets and hence the innovations on the laptop with much of the desktop-only hardware FINALLY migrating to the laptop after all this time.

My $0.02.

3. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

and what a fabulous opportunity for apple--mobiles are what they do best, one of the few things they do clearly better than the PC market. but methinks they will have to continue to innovate much more this year to stay on top of quality here.

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

laptops have a much higher profit margin than desktops, so it makes sense for the computer companies to push them, even if consumer need doesn't quite match up...

i've stopped getting surprised every time a computer company says or does something apple did, exactly as they did it, a month later...

pnw

5. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Yawn.

"It says notebooks are becoming a big deal, and we have confirming data from other vendors on similar trends"

Apple already said this.

Just another example showing where the innovation in the computer industry is...

6. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

why the yawn? genius! this is exactly the point of the thread. did you misread it? lol :p

7. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

I meant the yawn for toshiba... I do agree, Steve is very smart, and tends to see where computers are going before most others...

8. alexlai5050 macrumors member

Yep i must admit steve is smart
    but admit everyone bill gates is even smarter
    He wasnt born into no family he was just clever when steve had a company bill was still studying
    and now look whos richer
    i very sorry to say this to all you steve supporters out there i am one to
    i actually hate bill gates but i must admit hes smart

9. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

they are certainly both very intelligent individuals, but i don't think gates' success is because he is smarter, but rather because he is more ruthless, and subtly very pushy.

10. Interiority macrumors member

Technically, Gates was born into a wealthy family and had a million dollar trust fund before Microsoft was ever conceived. Steve's background is much more humble.

Also, Gates dropped out of Harvard in 75/76 to form Microsoft, which I believe pre-dates Apple by the best part of a year...

Bill maybe smarter, but Steve has style.

11. Computer_Phreak macrumors 6502

well, ANYONE who had the kind of contributions to the computer industry of the magnitude of Bill and Steve is a genius...

Every heard of an evil genius?:D

12. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

I don't think gates has contributed much as far as innovation.

He might have made our lives all worse by releasing windoze to the masses, and getting rich off of it, but that doesn't mean he's smarter.

13. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

style is jeans and a black mock-turtle neck for 10 years?

have you ever met ANYONE wearing this same outfit? ;-)

14. MetallicPenguin macrumors 6502

Yes.

15. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

your grandmother doesn't count....

jk ;).