New from PC's Bought a dual core 2.0 QUICK HELP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by stiksandstones, Nov 4, 2005.

1. stiksandstones macrumors newbie

Nov 4, 2005
    I just got a new powermac g5 dual core 2.0. Never owned a mac, I am from PC world.
    Does anyone have one?
    When I tested at the mac store I looked at the system profiler>>>about this mac. The ones at mac store were correct, the dual CPU machines they had said 2 cpus, the dual cores said ONE CPU.
    I bought mine from a retailer (not apple store-the sales people there were very annoying) got it home and have been setting it up-love it so far, but I looked at my ABOUT THIS MAC in the profiler and it says:

Machine Name: Power Mac G5
    Machine Model: PowerMac11,2
    CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (1.1)
    Number Of CPUs: 2
    CPU Speed: 2 GHz
    L2 Cache (per CPU): 1 MB
    Memory: 512 MB
    Bus Speed: 1 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: 5.2.7f1
    Serial Number: ***********

Now, shouldnt it say 1 for number of CPUs and the PER CPU thing for cache should just be gone right?
    My manuals say dual core, box says dual core, receipt says dual core. I called the mac help 800 number and the guy said, and I quote "Hmmm that is interesting, sounds like you got a dual chip dual core 2.0ghz, you lucked out" I told him thats impossible since they do not make one...very unimpressed with the tech support....but I like my new mac.
    Any thoughts?
  2. dubbz macrumors 68020

Sep 3, 2003
    Alta, Norway
    The PowerMac11,2 model should be the dual core version, as far as I know.

They likely just didn't bother to change the wording. It's basically the same thing. One dual core is like 2 CPUs to apps anyway.
  3. stiksandstones thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 4, 2005
    Ok, I just would have SWORN the apple store macs said DUAL CORE...but maybe I was in a haze after seeing all those fancy machines. BTW-I do not really care about this issue, I just want to make sure I got what I paid for ya know.
  4. stiksandstones thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 4, 2005
    anyone else with a dual core that has the same issue? or non issue?
  5. mduser63 macrumors 68040

Nov 9, 2004
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I think you're alright. Dual cores should look like 2 CPUs to the OS. Anyway, the 1 MB of L2 cache is a giveaway. The dual CPU machines only had 512 KB per CPU of L2 cache. Congrats on the new machine!
  6. matticus008 macrumors 68040

Jan 16, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Yeah, dual core CPUs are displayed as two CPUs, because that's what they are. It's two CPU units sharing a single packaging and socket. There would be no benefit of having a dual core system if it presented itself as one CPU to the OS.

The dual, dual core should show up as 4 CPUs.
  7. p0intblank macrumors 68030

Sep 20, 2005
    New Jersey
    Wow, it must feel great to read that. :D
  8. stiksandstones thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 4, 2005
    Thanks all for the replys, I just would have sworn I saw a single CPU listed at the mac store, on their dual cores, but I guess not.