Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

BGR posts what it claims to be photos from a new iPad's display assembly. BGR refers to the part as an "iPad 4" part but is somewhat uncertain about exactly what the part could represent.

Apple is believed to be working on a revised full-size iPad (in addition to the iPad mini) that could also be launched on Tuesday as part of their media event. The new iPad would have a lightning connector and expanded LTE support. And, according to BGR, could have an improved FaceTime camera:

ipad-4-front-facing-camera.jpg

They point to an enlarged front-camera opening as evidence that Apple could be upgrading the front-camera on this new iPad.
The most noticeable changes we can see are the fact that the front-facing camera cutout is larger than the previous model, allowing Apple to include a bigger sensor.
A larger sensor could allow for a higher quality camera. At the moment, the iPad's front camera offers "VGA-quality" photos. Notably, the iPhone 5's front-facing camera was upgraded to 720p video and 1.2MP photos, suggesting this is a direction they could also take the iPad.

BGR acknowledges that the part, however, could be for a future iPad update.

Apple's media event kicks off on 10 AM Pacific / 1 PM Eastern on Tuesday, October 23rd.

Article Link: New Full-Sized iPad to Have Upgraded FaceTime Camera?

AlvinNguyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
LOL wooot wooot! exciting morning tomorrow! Got my $$$ ready! Already sold my iPad 3 in anticipation for either the new iPad or iPad mini :)

foiden

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2008
I'd be really surprised if such an incomplete rumor would cause such a reaction. I mean, yeah, the first words of the article may seem a bit like jumping to conclusions, but it does admit that it's just a guess. As of right now, this hardly means anything from a timing perspective.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I'm still not convinced they'll call it the iPhone 5.

But seriously, a small delta improvement is no big deal as long as Apple doesn't expect it to be earth shattering.

J4B3

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2012
Gamma Quadrant
This is why the name change from iPad 3 to "iPad" makes sense. The iPad can be tweaked slightly without creating too much confusion.

george-brooks

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
The opening for the iPhone 5's front camera is actually smaller than the one on the iPhone 4, so I don't think this is good logic for a larger sensor, but perhaps a slightly better lens. I think an HD front camera on the next iPad is inevitable.

george-brooks

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
This is why the name change from iPad 3 to "iPad" makes sense. The iPad can be tweaked slightly without creating too much confusion.

More confusion in my opinion. Buying an iPad used, for instance: "which version of the third generation iPad is this"? iPad 3, iPad 4, iPad 5 is less syllables and more clear.

juicywaterhouse

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2010
Southern California
Yeah anything other than just a new connector (i.e. 30 to 8 pin) I'm not going to be able to resist ... at least I can transfer my applecare ... right ... right?!
Starting to think I might have a problem :eek:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/iPad-Mini-Tuesday-iOS-Nexus-10-MacBook,18631.html

Apple is only revealing the iPad Mini on Tuesday, claims an insider.

A very trusted source close to Apple's media event on Tuesday reports that the company is only revealing the iPad Mini -- nothing else. The 7.85-inch tablet is also slated to go on sale next Friday, followed by the iPad 4 in the Spring.

According to the source, Apple's not spilling the details until the actual event -- Apple PR likes to "keep its cards close to its proverbial chest." Previous reports indicated that the company plans to unload 12 models in two colors and possibly three connectivity options (Wi-Fi only, 3G and 4G), totaling 24 units.

Of course, we've heard lots of different rumors about what Apple plans to showcase tomorrow in addition to the iPad Mini, spanning an updated iPad 3 to a Retina 13-inch MacBook Pro. But what we DO know is that Apple is officially launching an attack on the 7-inch tablet market starting tomorrow, and Google plans to fire right back in the 10-inch market on Monday. Kapow.

The battle begins tomorrow at 10 a.m. PDT / 1 p.m. EDT.

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2010
Dont' worry, new camera & connector will make Safari run snappier :D

Yes!!! Win8 will make Solitaire snappier and we get snappier safari and google will make gmail snappier.

Exciting times indeed.

Where did the snappier thing come from anyway???

Last edited by a moderator:

sabu213

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2012
Fresno Ca
My "New Ipad's" response to all these leaks

My "New Ipad's" response to all these leaks

Attachments

• th.jpeg
    th.jpeg
    7.4 KB · Views: 5,482

DestroVega

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2012
CT
Anyone selling their 7-month-old iPad to get a tweaked new one is just insane to me. If you want a smaller mini I could understand but jeez. I had a hard time justifying the jump from iPhone 4 to 5 to myself. They could make the tweaked iPad 1.5x faster and I'd still be fine with the 7-month old "obsolete" model.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
I'd only jump ship to the 2012 iPad 2.0 if it was thinner and lighter. Honestly, holding that thing in one hand for an extended period of time is (probably sadly) tiring!

But surely if it does change, it won't be anything particularly aesthetic aside from the Lightning port. Excited to see what the 2013 one brings, though!

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
Reductio ad absurdum

Let's just say for argument's sake that Apple decided to release a new iPad every seven months.

According to those who claim to be very upset about the rumours of a revised iPad being true that would mean that had they known, then they would have waited 7 months, this is supposed to be the reason for their angst.

But wait, knowing that 7 months is now the new rev cycle, that would mean that after waiting for 7 months they still could not purchase the new iPad because they know that there will be a new one in another 7 months... etc.

slimbek

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
I can definitely see the Apple website frontpage showing a refreshed fullsize iPad and new iPad Mini together with some fancy headline about how its all in the family or some such.

Otherwise:
1) the Mini will have no clear sense of scale vs the normal iPad when just looking at website pics
2) Showing 2 family products side-by-side with different dock connectors doesn't make sense for Apple.

But I expect I'll be proven wrong.

carl0sian

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2011
iPad mini........pass for me!

revised iPad 3.....tempting but only if they upgrade the cpu to A6, make it thinner, use lightning connector and use the same type of display used on the iphone 5.... if it doesn't have all these things then I'll probably wait until the quadcore version comes out in the 2014

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.