New FW drive did something wierd

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Erendiox, Apr 1, 2006.

1. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

Hey all. After running out of space on my 160gig acomdata drive for video editing, I decided to spring for a new 250gig seagate and a macally FW+USB2 enclosure. Got it all last night. Putting it together was fun and it worked last night just fine when I plugged it in. Just this morning I ventured into school to put it to work. I plugged the FW cable into the drive. A sudden huge spark flew out from where the power cable plugs in, which made me jerk away. The FW cable, on the other end, was connected to a dual G5, which was OFF. I've had my other external HD for almost 2 years and it's never done anything like that. I thought I had burnt the power supply for the drive... with a firewire cable no less, but I plugged the power cable in and switched it on. Seems to work fine, but i'm really wondering what happened. Does this sound like something I should call in about?

2. emaja macrumors 68000

So Macally puts the "fire" in FireWire?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I would still call them and see what they want you to do. Even though it seems to work fine, there might be something that pops up later due to this and I wouldn't want to be responsible for it.

3. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

Just wondering, but how big of a spark was it? Was it more like a static spark?

My portable HD occasionally does this, but it is a minor static spark, it usually happens just before i actually plug in the firewire cable to my computer. I would have to say it happens when the cable, and port, are an 1/8 of an inch away from each other before actually plugging it in.

But i would call them and let them know what happened, just in case they make some kind of log, so if something major happens later on, they would have a kind of background info to go from.

[yay, this is my 500th post]

4. Erendiox thread starter macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

It was a whole lot bigger than a static spark. What bothers me more about it is the fact that it came out of the power supply when I plugged in the FW cable. It wasn't static between the FW cable and the enclosure.

I think at the very least i'll call macally and tell them about it so if anything goes wrong later on they'll have something to look back on. Thanks for the suggestion. :)