New g4 1 gig dual performace

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by binny, Nov 10, 2002.

1. binny macrumors newbie

hi there,

does anyone have a New g4 1 gig dual powerpc,
    have heard they are slow....is this true?

also heard they have noisy fans, please let me know, I am in a hurry!!!

2. King Cobra macrumors 603

If you have heard one of the new G4 Dual GHz PowerMacs at a nearby quiet Apple Store, they really aren't that loud. I mean, you can hear them and the fans inside, but it's not really a "windtunnel". :rolleyes:

Also, one of the more recent MacWorld magazines (as controversial as some say on the forums) compared the new dual PowerMacs, all models, as well as some old model dual PowerMacs, and I think the new dual GHz performed tasks better than the old 1GHz dual with every, if not, almost every, test executed, from Photoshop, to other high level aplications.

Personally, I don't have either model, but from reading posts and reports here, and in magazines, and just from personal observations, I think the new PowerMac models should work better for whatever your needs are.

3. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

i have one...it is noisy.

but slow? no chance. this thing is really fast. i was stunned.

4. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I have one and it is blazingly fast. Where the real performance shines through is when you are running several processor intesive programs at once. I have yet to slow this thing down without running a rediculous number of heavy programs.

I don't find it excessively noisy the fans rarely kick in to high speed. Most of the time it idles away. It is quieter then most PCs that you will see at your local computer store.

5. alset macrumors 65816

alset

While I won't say this is the loudest machine I have ever owned, my new 1.25 (which should be fine to compare by) is certainly the most irritating to listen to. It might be just my machine, as friends who work at an Apple Store are surprised by this; my machine makes a high pitched sound a lot of the time. It's never really audible when I am playing music or a game, so I almost never hear it. However, the frequency of the sound is quite annoying.

Then again, I have a desk that encloses the machine to keep it out of the way. The enclosure may amplify the sound and make it more apparent.

BTW - I wouldn't give up the performance for any amount of sound!

Hope this helps,
    Dan

6. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Mine makes a kind of low whirring sound hardly an annoying sound.

7. alset macrumors 65816

alset

The sound I hear is almost like a hard drive spinning at an incredible speed. I was sort of concerned about it at first, but it doesn't seem to be an issue.

BTW - When I opened the machine to examine it the sound did seem to be localized in the area of the heat sync.

Dan

8. nixd2001 macrumors regular

As in, you opened the case with it powered up? Sounds a brave thing to be doing...

9. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

These cases starting with the B/W G3 are designed to be able to be opened while running. Though you shouldn't keep them open for too long.