New G4 $400ea for 512mb modules?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by ottomatic, Aug 16, 2002.

1. ottomatic macrumors newbie

Could someone please tell me why eliminating 3 512mb memory modules off the new dual 1.25 pm subtracts $1200 from the order when I've found DDR modules of PC 2700 ram @ $150-$210.
    And why can't I find exact specs on the modules [ie how many pins oms etc?

2. porovaara macrumors regular

Easy.

Because apple *really* overcharges for memory.

3. ottomatic thread starter macrumors newbie

Re: Easy.

Do you have any ideas where we can get prices and exact specs for alt memory resources? Obviously one would order with the min memory config due to the Apple price...

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I never buy from apple - try www.buymemory.com if they don't have the info online, give them a call.

D

5. ottomatic thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! I will.

6. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

www.ramseeker.com searches many vendors and groups it all according to mac model. very easy to use.

7. xelterran macrumors 6502

what they charge like $600 for INSTALLING memory?!?!? omg thats so crazy..:eek: :eek: :eek:

8. kaltsasa macrumors 6502a

I recomend crucial ram (www.crucial.com) It's not the cheapest ram you can find, but a good deal cheaper than apple's and its very high quality. Here at the school where I work we get minimal configs from apple and up them with crucial, never had a lick of problem with it. However we have had 2 128 meg sticks from apple go bad so i'm tempted to belive it may be higher quailty than apple but perhaps we are also an isolated case.

9. drastik macrumors 6502a

drastik

always, always buy the minimum memory config for boxes. Wintel and AMD too, all manufatureres overcharge for memory, most not as spectacularly much though. Buy memory and intstall yourself.

10. ottomatic thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow! Ram seeker rules! Thanks.

11. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I always go to OtherWorld Computing any more. http://eshop.macsales.com/

They have their own brand plus TechWorks--my favourite and they're always good about the price.

Recently, I was at CompUSA waiting on my dad's iMac and a woman was in line ready to leave hers to have the memory upgraded. I mentioned that it would take two minutes and even she could do it. She said that it was a free installation, rather than $30, and that it would be back within 48 hours. I also told her that I would put the memory into the machine in the parking lot for $10. Oh, wait, do I sound cheap? :D

12. kaltsasa macrumors 6502a

OWC is an excelent place to Shop, I've personaly bought several HD's from there, one for an ibook, one for a G4 tower, and a Firewire for an imac. I recently bought a new imac from www.Powermax.com and they were extremly helpful, they gave me a great deal on extra ram and installed it for free before shipment, they worked with me to get the best price they could give me, I wholeheartedly recomend www.powermax.com if buying a new computer and you want extraram with it with out the hassle of selfinstalation.

13. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

Though I woul add to the deluge of ram vendors:

http://www.datamem.com

The best prices I have found anywhere. And they will confirm which memory you exactly need.