New G4 arriving next week!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by noelmac75, Feb 6, 2003.

1. noelmac75 macrumors regular

What can I expect from my new Dual 1.25ghz and 17" display which should be arriving next week, I havent done an upgrade since my G4 450mhz with viewsonic 19", I havent played around with them that much either, Iam really looking forward to it, cant wait!

2. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Blazing fast. What more can be said.

Did you run OSX on your 450?

3. noelmac75 thread starter macrumors regular

No, I've never used it yet, only OS 9 , i was waiting till I got a mac. Whats the studio display like?

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Its going to be an eye opener for you. I just got a dual 1.25 last week and its friggin amazing compaired to my Sawtooth 450 at home.

What sort of apps are you going to be running?

Also, you'll be using all the iApps too, which will be a bit different.

Good luck and have fun.

D

5. noelmac75 thread starter macrumors regular

yeah i've used a few iapps, iam so used to using os9, it will be a lot different , i'll be using apps like, photoshop/illustrator freehand, a few web design apps/ whats the best browser to use for screen redraw?

6. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Dual 1.25 GHz is popular

It seems the new dual 1.25 GHz is the most popular G4-deal.
    And yeehaaa!!!, mine could me here this weekend. I'm replacing my sawtooth 400 MHz.... can't wait!

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Even thought its still in beta, I've found Safari to be the best browser on my macs in terms of screen redraw, scrolling and loading. It does get a little slow with Flash, but I'm hoping that will be fixed soon.

D

8. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

The fastest without a doubt are you ready drumb roll please.......Chimera (after using Chimera Booster). I am not a person that perceives a speed increase just because I upgrade something or a program says that it will make it faster. Chimera booster works at least for most pages. For me it decreased the latency time between a click of a link and the time it connected.

9. mdeschenes macrumors member

I am also about to finalize my order for the DP 1.25. It's been a while since I've used a mac - back when I owned a PPC 8500 with Sonnet G3 375. Miss it terribly - had to use a PC for the last few years because of work. But no more! I will likely be ordering it within the next week. I will purchase an additional 512 megs of RAM by Samsung (3rd party so way, way cheaper), Office X, Norton's Utilities, Virtual PC 6.0 DOS (I have XP home). I am considering the Superdrive but haven't quite committed 100%.

It certainly appears that the DP 1.25 is the most popular of the three "new" towers. I only wish that they had kept the L3 cache at 2 mb. I would have been willing to pay the extra $.

I certainly hope that the G4 line of processors will continue to develop so that upgrade possibilities will be there for a long time - at this price, I'll want to keep this machine for several years.

Here's to "Back to Mac"

10. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Hey, how do I install this ChimeraBooster thing? It says that I need to put the folder in my home directory. Is that my personal library folder?

P-Worm

11. eatbacon macrumors regular

hey mdeschenes,

you can get 2MB L3 on the dual 1.25 if you are willing to spend the money. The OS9 bootable versions include 2MB L3, but you can't order them without the superdrive or extra memory so the turn out to be quite a bit more. Although, 512MB ram is about as low as anyone should be using in a machine of that magnitude and having a superdrive isn't all bad (or so I have heard)

12. TiWarrior macrumors member

Here I am working with my old 400MHz G4 Sawtooth.....awaiting the delivery van with a nice new 1.25GHz & 20inch Apple display :D

Hope TNT don't loose it!

TiWarrior

13. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Make two of us!
    I have a 400 MHz Sawtoooth, and I can pick up my new dual 1.25 friday afternoon!
    Yippee! (no new display, though.. got one left)

14. noelmac75 thread starter macrumors regular

I have a 450mhz sawtooth and Iam waiting on a Dual 1.25 next week sometime, did you know that they ship with the white keyboards now.

15. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Wow, the Dual 1.25 is really popular!
    Yep, white keyboard. It'll look nice, I think.

16. gotohamish macrumors 65816

gotohamish

So I see... I've ordered a 1.42 minus superdrive and with the GeForce4MX. Do you think it will be significantly better than the 1.25 which I could have delivered next week?

17. JustAGuy macrumors member

Depends what you're using it for. The DP1.25 I ordered will be a very noticeable improvement over my Cube for general use (which I'm keeping as an mp3 server--just can't bear to let it go), but the extra boost from the 1.42 probably wouldn't have been worth the cash for me.

However, had I been a guy who works in PS or FCP all day then it'd be worth the cash. But for simple game playing, mp3 ripping, and light java programming the DP1.25 will do everything I want and more (and, unlike the cube, be able to run iTunes simultaneously without slowing down...)

18. gotohamish macrumors 65816

gotohamish

I use FCP on a hobby level, and photoshop is my main use, though I actually hardly ever use filters.

I'm currently on a G4 500 tower, which is okay, but has started to definitely play catchup with me recently.

I'm tempted to go for the 1.25 now, and I'd get it sooner! Any thoughts people!?!?!?

19. Bear macrumors G3

Depends on what you are using it for. There is a very small price difference between the two machines if they have a similar configuration.

I'm using Photoshop and my images are 36 megs, so the extra speed will help me.

I know the waiting sucks, but you' need to decide which one fits your needs. And if it is 1.42GHz one, then at least you already have it on order.

20. JustAGuy macrumors member

Well, if $$ is a concern, then the 1.25 is the way to go. The 1.42 will be linearly faster (if not slightly more due to the L3 cache) but from where you're coming from either would seem lightning fast (it's like standing still and looking at a rocket doing mach 3 and another doing mach 4. Sure the mach 4 rocket is 33% faster but damn if you can tell :) )

The other advantage is being able to get the 1.25 now, now, now! Which might be worth the slight speed cut right there.

21. gotohamish macrumors 65816

gotohamish

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking - cancel and order the 1.25 and save a little cash too.

I've always (where possible) gone for the top of the line model so I can get the most life out of it, but it seems like the 1.25 has been around for ages and it also has less L3 than the previous 1.25 which is a shame.

Help! I have money and can't decide what to spend it on!

22. Bear macrumors G3

Actually if you give a DP1.25 and a DP1.42 The same options, the price is $300 (US) more for the DP1.42. Not that much of a dollar difference. (Yet significant to some people.)

When I say the same options, I mean same memory, same disk size, same optical drive, same video board. the only difference being the processor speed (and the cache difference).

However, you can get a smaller disk and less memory for the DP1.25 increasing the price difference for the lowest end model you can configure of each, but I suspect most people buying a PowerMac will want at least 512MB of ram, and possibly more disk space.

23. gotohamish macrumors 65816

gotohamish

The 1.42 I have on order (minus superdrive, and with GeForce4MX) is costing £1,686 + £75.00 (RAM) = £1,761. Shipping 4-6 weeks.

The 1.25 I would get would be £1,397.00 (with BTO 120GB HDD, no Modem, GeForce4MX) + £113 (ext. ordered RAM) = £1,510. Shipping in 5-7 days.

Does anyone think that £250 for a faster processor and bigger L3 is worth it?

24. JustAGuy macrumors member

True on both counts, but if you get it at the Apple Store you pay the Apple Up-The-Arse (tm) RAM surcharge and the Apple What-The-Hell HD Tax.

Throw into the mix other currencies and it gets even more complex. I'm a jolly Canuck, so that $300 you quoted becomes a more wallet strangling $480 (or more likely $500 by Apple's math).

In any event, when you take into consideration outsourced RAM, HD and a superdrive you probably don't need, the 1.25 can be up to $1400-1500 cdn cheaper for essentially the same computer. To me, that's a whole lot for 2x170Mhz & 2x1MB L3 cache.

25. gotohamish macrumors 65816

gotohamish

True, but the RAM prices I quoted are crucial not apple. And the 120GB is apple as only £35/$50US more for than the 80. I actually only need the 80 as I have another to go in... aaagh!

I might go for the 1.25 and have a holiday! Help!