New G4 DP machines noise level

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by Tarlach, Aug 26, 2002.

1. Tarlach macrumors newbie

OMG, I went to buy a new G4 DP until I heard the fan kick in. It sounded like a vacumm cleaner . The loudest computer I have ever heard. I can't work with that in my office.
    What is Apple thinking!

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Re: New G4 DP machines noise level

Quit ur bitchin, u want fast machines or not? :rolleyes:
    How the hell do u expect to keep those dual 867-1250Mhz cool with no fans!

3. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

i heard the xserve is a monster for sound, but i saw one hooked up n turned on (but i dont think a monitor was on tho :S) n it didnt sound that loud :S...atleast compared to one of my old peecees ;)

4. Tarlach thread starter macrumors newbie

Re: Re: New G4 DP machines noise level

So far the tests I have seen don't show it faster. How does all the PeeCeee manufactures make those machines run so much faster with no where near the noise the new machines make.

I want a new machine but that godawful noise I can't work with.

Go hang out with one for a while, when that PS fan kicks in you will think someone has started up a vacumm cleaner.

I'll bitch if I like, it is my money and I'll decide if I like it or not, not you.

5. Dr. Distortion macrumors regular

Stop whining already!

There's nothing as irritating as the variable speed fan in my 7600/400 G3! Everytime it needs to do some heavy calculations the fan's rpm goes up, and after a while it goes down again...

6. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Re: New G4 DP machines noise level

I have a solution, go to ebay and buy a cube. If you want power you have to make sacrifices.

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

ha, very nice.

There really is no way you're going to get speed without noise. And I'm wondering if this current box is a bit overkill for even the current crop of processors - I'm thinking there is something bigger coming down the pipe that will really need the vacu-suck.

Personally, if the machine cranks out a little noise, I'd just put my head phones on and not worry about.

So quick you're whining.

D

8. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Somehow, lots of PCs manage to be both faster and quieter than these dual Macs...

I thought PowerPC was such an efficient processor?

9. Dr_Floyd macrumors member

I have one sitting right here and its not making any sound at all (above normal room noise)

The only time the power supply fan is really loud is on start up.

10. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Nice one :D . Mine will be arriving in less than a week. I can't wait, my screen (17inch lcd) is sitting on the desk just crying out for the cpu.

11. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

12. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Obviously this person is experienced the world of PC's otherwise their first two posts would not be knocking something that we have been waiting a long time for.

Yes, PC's are loud too. PowerMac's are loud. Kick on iTunes and blast some music over a nice set of H/K's and boom. Problem solved. Or, just buy an iMac, or PowerBook.

13. Bart macrumors newbie

You people keep on telling that many PC's are a lot faster and produce less noice.
    Now tel me where on the internet can I compare PC's with Macs, when it comes to speed. Where on the www can I find the exact speed of any PC in Gigaflops?
    At the office I use a new 2.5 Ghz Pentium 4. And yes it's fast.
    But sometimes it is harder to use, and that makes it slower in the end.
    I do think that the gap between PC and Mac is closing more and more.
    And maybe some day the mac will not be worth the extra money, you have to pay for it.

14. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

Come on...

There is NO wasy that these are louder then PC fans. Classes started yesterday, and when I went into the school's Dell Lab, it sounded like the deck of an aircraft carrier in there. Next door in the Apple Lab, there were rows of pretty little PowerMacs (new dual 1 Gig machines) purring away like a litter of kittens. Or maybe that was Jaguar purring. :D

Gus

15. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Re: Come on...

You lucky ...... uh person! My school only has emacs and imacs and a few quicksilvers! But then again, there aren't any Dells in the building, so I guess it's work the sacrifice.

16. javadev macrumors newbie

I picked up a dual-867 this weekend, and it is fairly quiet until the extra fan kicks in... which seems to not happen so much when the room is cold... so I guess if the noise bugs ya, crank up the AC!

-- Rob

17. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

I lived in Saudi Arabia, and the AC's were about 10x louder than any computer in existence, and probably most aircraft carriers.

18. aromac macrumors newbie

NEW DUAL

Just to let you know. The fan on my machine is also HELLA DAMN LOUD!!! ..however, ONLY when running on 0s9. On osx, the machine is virtuallly silent.

19. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Re: NEW DUAL

I can see it now, "New Dual Powermacs, Fans now optimised for OS X."

20. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

indeed, you can't get serious power these days without a little noise. god bless the Cube. wish i still had mine. the only problem i've had with PM noise is in the studio. you're trying to record a voice over or acoustic instrument and BOOM!, the fans kick in and ruin the take. granted, if i had more money i wouldn't have to record everything in virtually the same space but i can't afford to build any booths right now. so for now, the machine is in another room. i'm praying for a new Cube release but i think even it would have to have a fan in this day and age.

21. Spike Spiegel macrumors regular

hey, do you remember when 'hella' wasnt a word.....those were good times. As long as my new Dual gig with 128MB Gefroce 4 Ti performs better than my 733 with Geforce2MX witch it almost certainly will, i will be happy. On the topic of noise, floyd, are you sure your machine isnt off?

22. gopher macrumors 65816

Speaking of noise

My Wallstreet sounded like a DC-9 on takeoff whenever I had an unballanced CD in the drive. Put in a non-labelled CD, you hardly new it was in the drive except for the vibration you felt under your fingers.

23. zanuzan macrumors newbie

loud!

Well my new dual 1 gig at work is so annoying we are all laughing about it. The louder fan turns on every 3 minutes and disturbs us all.

It is fine when this other fan doesn't kick in. I am in an AC environment too. What gives?

24. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

lol!

25. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Let's all use this thread as a way to boost our post counts! J/K tjwett.