New G4 Laptop worth buying?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by eidrunner247, Jul 12, 2006.

1. eidrunner247 macrumors 6502

Yes, I know there are other threads on this, but now this one is a bit more recent. My question is simple: would it be worth it to plunk down a 1000 bucks to buy a 15" G4 Powerbook 1.5-1.67 (hi res or not)? My main usage with it would be basic video editing and then burning dvds. Any thoughts? What would you do? Is there something else the 1000 bucks should go toward instead?

2. MalcolmJID macrumors 6502a

Well, if it was MY $1000 (£1000 :-] U.K. ftw!), then I'd go for the PowerBook. :)

3. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

If you feel that you don't need the much faster CPU, get the PB and an external display.

4. EvilDoc macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

hey i what part of az are you in? i am in phx! back on subject, i think i would go for a mac book over the power book.. or wait and save the money till you can get a mac book pro. i have a thing agaist buying products that have already been replace. and do you really need the portablity?

5. plarusa macrumors member

The MBP is much faster for the tasks you listed, so I would not recommend a MB.

6. eidrunner247 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, currently I go to UA in Tucson, but I still spend a bit of time in Phoenix, especially during the summer. Phoenix = West Phoenix, Litchfield Park area (west of Avondale), (west of Goodyear).

And thanks for the advice all!

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Between a MacBook and this G4 laptop, I think the G4 laptop might be faster today. In the future, when software is optimized for Intel, then yes, I think a MB or MBP would be faster.

8. Obsidian6 macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

normally i would say for today yes the PB g4 will hold its ground.

but i have had this incredible urge to sell my PB and get a MB or MBP with the money...

this is a dilemma of epic proportions people!

9. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

well, from how I understand it, video editing won't be too great on a MB because of the integrated graphics, while the PB has a dedicated video card. of course the MBP will be faster than a PB, but if you don't have/want to put that kind of money into a new machine, then I'd say opt for the PB over the MB (as long as video editing is among your main uses).

10. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Arghh!!! When will people learn?! Video editing has nothing to do with the video card, unless you use Motion :mad:

Ignorance is a sin.